Was I misdiagnosed with pericarditis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went to the ED a while back for flu-like symptoms and fever after a surgery. They admitted me due to elevated troponin levels (243) and tachycardia at rest (118bpm). I had an EKG, echo, and chest xray, but was only told they looked "fine". I was eventually discharged with the one word diagnosis "pericarditis," no meds, and no explanation or plan other than to follow up with mt PCP.

At my follow-up, I was told I had an enlarged heart and decreased ejection fraction, and that we'd "keep an eye on it." Nothing has been mentioned since and there was no elaboration.

Anything more than general getting around has my heart rate shooting up to the 140s and leaves me exhausted. I've been having palpitations; my heart skips beats and I get a fluttery, empty feeling in my chest that leaves me lightheaded. Is it possible I had a heart attack that was missed? I've read heart attacks and pericarditis can read similarly on EKGs.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I've been having similar experiences to yourself, albeit my heart rate was 113, normally in the 80's. May I ask what your blood pressure has been like?

• Edited

It had been running very high, 160+/100+, but has been brought to ~128/88 with medication

• Posted

Good, which medication?

were you feeling symptoms while it was that high and what was your pulse rate at that time?

• Posted

Lisinopril; I'd already been on it for some time when the event happened. I had no symptoms, and my pulse rate was around 75-80 at rest, despite my blood pressure being consistently high.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.