Was it a hot flash?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday, I was waiting to start work. I was walking at my regular pace and got to the service desk. As I was walking, I felt my heartbeat start to increase and then I felt somewhat light headed and a little sweaty. I put my head down on the counter, closed my eyes and started taking deep breaths. After about 2-3 minutes, I started feeling better, normal, but just didn't feel like I wanted to take any chances with work. I am a cashier at a K-mart. I went into the break room for a little bit. Then one of my co-workers suggested that I should go and take my blood pressure at the pharmacy. I t was one of those machines. It was high. Is this normal? Was it a hot flash? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreicated! I plan to go to a dr. within the next day. Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is normal. May I ask are you taking progesterone pills for you menopause symptoms if you are that can raise your blood pressure and heart rate. Or if you are diabetic that can raise it too. Also anxities do come with menopause and that could have raised your blood pressure because my anxieties have raised mine 

Let me tell you my experince with the progesterone pill I was taking 50mgs took only for two days the first night I took it the next day i was feeling weak, not myself, anxious, feeling like I was going to fall, not all there in my head, then on Wednesday night early Thursday morning after taking my second one woke up heart rate racing, feeling weak in the legs then I took my thyroid after 4 that morning while I was in bed strated to become dizzy. 

Let me tell you more I experience from a lot of anxieties and yes my heart rate does go up and so does my blood pressure. I grew up having anxieties from being mentally abused and physically by my mother, not having my dad around, and my peers making fun of me this is why I grew up having a lot of anxieties. Yes It does cause a lot more problems in menopause and it is scary having these anxieties. 

Your hot flash could have caused you to become anxious to where your blood pressure went up and your heart rate was racing or you could have just been having anxietes or a panic attack due to you menopause. 

If you do take progesterone pills to help your hormones then call this number and they will tell you right out that progesterone can do this too

1-800-FDA-1088. 

Hope you are feeling better just take it easy

• Posted

HI Susan!

I am not on any meds or anything like that. I was on amlodipine a few months ago, but I have not taken any of that since the end of February of this year and have felt so much better being off it.  But that's a different topic.

Even my 19 year old daughter, who I called right after I told my boss that I wasn't able to go to work, said that it might be a hot flash. I am feeling better now, today even after calling my work up and letting them know that I wasn't coming in because I want to take it easy. I don't feel any residual effects today. And the fact that it's a bit warm and humid doesn't help either. I am going to keep a diary of when this stuff happens. I will also go to the local medical facility on Monday, in the local market, to check this out. I don't have a car of my own and it'll cost some $$ to get to and from there. Not to mention the cost of going to see the doctor. If you have any other thoughts or ideas, feel free to let me know. Rozanne

• Posted

You do understand that having a hot flash and since you are in menopause the menopause does have effects on your blood pressure because of the hormone changes. 

Have you ever thought of another blood pressure medication to go on beside amlodipine to help keep your blood pressure under control while in menopause. I take losartan potassium for my blood pressure. 

I would talk to your doctor and have him prescribe you another blood pressure medication. I am in menopause and eeven though I am on a blood pressure medication my blood pressure goes up and down at times. 

Menopause does have effect on the blood pressure read up on menopause symptoms and you will see. Since you were just on amlodipine for your blood pressure I would talk to your doctor about going back on a blood pressure pill just because you feel fine right now with out it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be on a blood pressure pill. 

Read up on the symptoms of menopause symptoms and you will see it can raise the blood pressure. 

• Posted

Hi again,

The thing about this is that I am not sure if I am in menopause or whatever part of menopause it may be. I am still having regular cycles, the flow is normal and lasts for the regular lengths of time. No cramping or anything like that.

When I do speak with my docotr, she asks me those questions on what the regular symptoms of any state of menopause that I am experiencing. To which I say what I mentioned above in regards to my cycles. No other normal or regular classic symptoms on menopause.

I have been keeping a diary of what I have been eating and also keeping track on how much sodium I have per day. I try not to go near 1,100 mgs per day.

I will go back and see if hbp can be caused by menopause or hot flashes etc.

• Posted

The only way to see if you are in Menopause is to get a blood test taking, but as i advised get onto a blood pressure pill that will keep your blood pressure down. You just got off amlodipine which is a blood pressure pill but your blood pressure could have gone up again. 

Its really hard to handle your blood pressure when you are anxious, stressed out and if you are in menopause like I am. Thats why HRTs won't agree with me. 

What I need to do is have my doctors nurse get me an emergency appointment with a thyroid doctor that I'm going to switch to, to have my thyroid rechecked my adrenal glands checked and my progesterone level and my estrogen level checked to see what is going on. I need every hormone checked out to see what is going on and why I feel the way I do. 

Please talk about a blood pressure pill with your doctor make sure it did not go up again 

• Posted

you can be in perimenopause from your mid thirties to early fifties.   most women stop bleeding (no bleeding for 13 months) and are in menopause by 50; some, like  me, are later.  i am just starting to have irregular periods at 52.  when these anxiety, palps and flushing started was on time every single month.   the following month i had my first irregular period - two in the span of 28 days and i've been bleeding for 7 - 10 days every 2 weeks ever since.  so, it may be the start for you.   just keep track of your periods, hot flashes, night sweats, etc.   IF you go in for blood work, make sure you are in days 1-3 of your period.  hormones are so erratic for any women, so a period is the best time to tell and even then blood work is not a reliable test.   it's symptoms and your periods. 
    • Posted

My blood work showed that I was post menopausal but why do I keep having symptoms with the palpitations when will it end will it ever stop and will my anxieties ever go down
  • Posted

i am taking supplements to keep my symptoms down, but blood pressure and palpitations are the hardest to control.  i am being monitored by my doctor every few weeks and i'm supposed to take my bp at home, but am afraid to.  it's not crazy high, but if i know it's high it goes higher.  i just ordered some garlic oil, which i took every day in the past and it wasn't until i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism that my bp started to become high; and i'd also stopped taking the garlic, not knowing that it was possibly helping my bp all along.  i was also 60 pounds overweight though.  fast forward 15 years and i am 40 pounds lighter (yes!  you can lose weight while being hypothyroid) and now in the worst of perimenopause - screwy periods, hot flashes, palpitations and racing heart and ANXIETY.   my bp is all of the sudden not controlled with the meds that DID control it for years.  so, i am going to try the garlic oil to see if it helps.  if not i will ask for a new or additional bp med.   p.s.  once you realize that this IS part of perimenopause, it really does become easier to deal with.  but there will be times when you need an extra something.  i take a 2.5mg valium ONLY when i can't breathe and self-talk my way out of the anxiety.   
    • Posted

You are telling me. My anxieties trigger my bp and my heart rate to go up. I am wearing a heart monitor to keep track of my palpitations. I get scared of taking my blood pressure at times because when I see it is high I become more anxious about it. 

I take 1mg of ativan in the morning and at bedtime but I also need a 1/2 to help keep my anxieties really down. Its like the movie high anxieties I think we need to watch that 

• Posted

yes, your anxiety increases heart rate and bp.  i had a TERRIBLE episode twice back in february and was in the ER because i thought i was having heart attacks each time.  it was just my hormones acting crazy and i didn't know that that is what was happening, but my first thought was "i'm dying!" and that just made it worse.   i had absolutely no idea that peri/meno could be this scary; i was not prepared for this.  but now that i know, i am able to deep breathe and tell myself it's my hormones.  that and having every test there is for my heart and bloodwork helped ease the anxiety.  i've also changed my diet completely.  NO unnecessary sugars like bread, candies, little pasta and rice.  of course i enjoy a small amount, but the last time was last week when i made 6 dozen cookies for my family.  i ate one.  i eat lots more protein and fiber, and small (less than 300 calories, and only about a cup size) meals as i am also suffering stomach symptoms (some women do in peri/meno).   i am having my required colonoscopy (age 50+) and while they have me under they are checking down my throat and looking at all of my organs with cat scan.  i will have been checked completely and i'm very certain that i am a healthy middle aged woman.  i just need to work on my anxiety and make it through this stage of life.   
    • Posted

Yes it is scary being in menopause and having palpitations when I am lying down or walking around or just sitting. Then the blood pressure at times you don't know its high until it is taken by a doctor. Mine goes up and down and so does my heart rate. At times I feel it beats slow then fast then slow then fast it makes me more anxious then i am always feeling for my pulse to see if it is going to fast or to slow. I feel like I am losing it i feel out of control when i have these palpitations i have not left my appartment since Thursday i don't think I want to be out in public with the way I feel It seems I just want to stay in bed and not do anything anymore because of these feelings. 

How can i ever leave the appartment while I am having these palpitations i just can't right now 

I wish i were a kid again 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.