Was my cancer missed ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Looking for advice

I've always been very conscious / paranoid about my health, in June 2018 i had a full health checkup done be cause i was experiencing some symptoms of concern, through my private healthcare i had an Abdominal Ultrasound, MRI, Endoscopy, Colonoscopy all came back perfectly clear.

However just over 2 years later July 2020 i was rushed to A&E with severe stomach pain, which turned out to be a large tumor in my bowel that had caused appendicitis, the tumor turned out to be cancer.

A bowel operation and 6 months of chemo later its looking good but there's still a long way to go.

I just cant shift this thinking that something was missed in my initial colonoscopy in 2018.

Maybe its paranoia but i cant think its at all likely that a 40 year old would have a larger bowel cancer that didnt show any sign just 2 years earlier

Does anyone think this warrants further investigation or just accept that i was really unlucky ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am interested to read any answers from people with knowledge in bowel cancer. I went to my Dr with abdominal pain and was treated with antibiotics for an infection. It didn't improve so after two weeks was sent to A and E and a CT scan showed a blockage. Emergency surgery followed and I was considered lucky as two small perforations were found and about four litres of waste had built up. All ok now, but it made me wonder if my Dr should have suspected something more serious than an infection. I hope you get some useful replies.

• Posted

Hey Kevin,

While i cannot answer your question, but did want to follow up and see how you are doing. Without sounding "preachy" I did pray for you, in that i can only imagine how i would have felt at 40 with what you are facing.

I recently lost my wife to cancer (she had s rare form of Leukemia) --she was in her mid-40's, and as hard as it's been, I can only hope others such as yourself as successful with your battle. If you have a moment let us know. Thx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.