WAS MY CATARACT SURGERY PREMATURE???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all!!

I initially had above average close vision but somewhere in my 40s distances became a bit difficult and I was prescribed bifocals with clear glass bottoms. I then required glasses to drive but improvement in distance vision and minor deterioration close up reversed this. My 10 year of diabetes has seen my eyes examined annually then 6 monthly as other issues surfaced. Cataracts, Epiretinal Membrane (shadows on the orange with red lines image) and a slowly growing hole in the centre of the retina image.

At my latest review I was advised to have the cataracts attended to. I was told after this procedure I would require glasses to read. As I did not do much personal reading I went ahead without sufficient thought. Pre surgery I was content with vision, only requiring glasses when clarity for long vision was required. I could perform everything close without aid except for small print when magnification was required.

Now 4 weeks post second eye-op I am struggling with everything within arms length which is really where we live. Little or no improvement is expected. Hundreds of things I used to do I cannot without the size 2s they gave me. These obtain clarity at only a definite specific distance and while I have them on everything else is a blur. I have to hang them low and look above for any distance. While I needed glasses before only on specific occasions I now need them handy 24/7. Apparently the membrane problem prevented the implant of multi-focal lenses. This is apparently also applicable to certain occupations.

On the plus side white is whiter, blue bluer and the things at a distance I needed assistance to see clearly are now possible without. Not much of a beneficial trade for what I have lost. I don’t know what technicians learn from all the “which dots are clearer A or B” but I feel some evaluation of my extreme loss of overall vision should have been possible to give such advice and recommendation when so little cataract effect was there. I know something had to be done some time if I lived that long but believe technician remuneration may have been an issue.

Has anyone any information on likely timing of cataract causing vision loss and if there is any experience or evidence of over-servicing and profiteering in this area.

Barrie Heslop (in Oz)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barrie - welcome to the gift that keeps on giving - cataracts and the cataract forums. I can well imagine it might feel like you are indeed in Oz or fallen down Alice's rabbit hole!

I have commented a number if times on these forums it is a shame doctors don't spend more time discussing pros and cons with patients. most rather assume if you are going with a monofocal lens you'd prefer to see distance well and wear glasses for everything else. However that is a scary prospect for someone who only needed glasses for distance and may possible prefer that after cataract surgery. A simple questionnaire while waiting to see surgeon would help guide discussion.

With 4 weeks since surgeries you have time to read up on the various lenses and decide whether you want an exchange. It is a more complicated procedure so a surgeon with more skill and experience would be required should you go that route. Perhaps a laser tweaking in a couple of weeks to make your non dominant eye more myopic would be a solution as well. Your eyes would likely tolerate a 1.0 diopter difference and that would give you usable intermediate vision too. Some people do get more range even with a monofocal lens but mist have vision like yours needing glasses.

The lenses that provide more range (EDOF - extended depth of focus or multifocal lenses) do give you much better range if vision - ans less dependent on glasses however they do cone with a trade-off - there are more halos and glare at night making driving more challenging. For more info on that read Claude's recent review. He has excellent day vision bit struggling coming to terms with the night vision.

Depending on where you live those premium lenses are expensive. I live in Canada do fortunately my surgery covered despite going with an EDOF lens (Symfony) but paid for upgraded lenses of $900 per lens. Places like the UK or USA pay only if going with monofocal lenses so it can cost thousands per eye if wanting a premium lens.

There ate many here who'll offer opinions - we are all patients like you - not professionals. It might be worth your time to get another expert opinion from a surgeon that specializes in lens exchanges.

Good luck to you Barrie. Wish you well.

• Posted

As I mentioned the membrane problem prevented the implant of multi-focal lenses. This is apparently also applicable to certain occupations. My concern was that post-surgery my overall vision is far worse than before. The surgery was performed on advice prematurely than required. This I believe had more to do with healthcare provider benefit than that of the patient's. So much in our society today is more like a nightmare than a fairy story and we don't know who to trust. If only close vision lenses are now available just how bad would everything else be. I survived quite well before surgery and am furious how bad treatments have become. Barrie!!!

• Posted

Barrie are you seeing well for at least one distance? If a monofocal was implanted you should be seeing well for distance if that was the target. Once 6 weeks have passed you can see your regular optometrist to get a new RX and get new glasses which should help with near vision.

The monofocal lens provides better night vision than the multifocal or EDOF lenses so that is a plus. Hopefully that is much better and you have no halos to contend with.

• Posted

my life has been turned upside down since i had the surgery seven months ago. my only problem was night driving, and now with these horrible lenses i cant drive at all at night, and day isnt that much better. lucky you didnt get the multifocal lenses. i wish i could pop them out. vision was 1000 times better before the surgery.

• Posted

doretta 😦

Any update?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.