Was prescribed 2.5mg of zyprexa for my OCD and anxiety. Considering quitting cold turkey.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Zyprexa for somewhere between 6 and 8 months now. My psychiatrist prescribed it to me to help treat intrusive thoughts caused by my OCD. It has so far done nothing for me and i can't raise the dose due to side effects. I'm heavily considering quitting cold turkey, but i don't know what to expect in the way of withdrawal. Will my withdrawal be mild and short because i haven't been on the medication for very long?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Jon cold turkey will lead to severe brain changes which are unbearable and I am suffering hypnopompic hallusinations due to cold turkey. Here is the strict tapering method. Buy a pill cutter online which is very cheap. Make 2.5 mg olanzapine into 4 pieces. First month take 3 pieces daily. Second month take 2 pieces daily. 3 rd month take 1 piece .Then take 1 piece alternate day for 3 weeks and stop.This way you will come out safely.
    • Posted

If you don’t mind me asking, what dose we’re you on that caused you to develop hallucinations and how long were you on it for? I talked to my pharmacist and was told that the most severe symptoms I’m likely to have are nausea and vomiting due to my low dose and the fact that I’ve been taking it for less than a year. Cold turkey might be my only option due to unforeseen circumstances with my insurance. I have 11 doses left and no way to get more other than spending money I don’t have.
    • Posted

I have used risperidone 1 mg for a month for excessive thinking due to Internet over use.When my symptoms subsided, I stopped cold turkey.Sheer ignorance of how these medicines work. My doctor didnt warn me at all.when I started suffering hypnopompic hallucinations this doctor put me on olanzapine as if this is the cure for my sleep problems.After using 10 mg olanzapine a month, that is when I checked in google and aquired some knowledge about antipsychotics. Then slow and steady I started tapering olanzapine. 7.5 mg 5 mg 2.5 mg each a month. Then bought 2.5 mg tablets. bought a pill cutter online.made 4 equal pieces of 2.5 mg. 3,2,1 piece each month. Then 1 piece every alternate day 3 weeks. Then stop.zero.

Here we get medicines if we get a prescription once.

I am praying to god, how you will be able to taper with 11 tablets.

• Posted

Why cold turkey?

I think everyone visiting this site says the same thing: come off it very, very slowly.

Good luck, Mel

• Posted

I unfortunately only have 11 doses left and due to insurance issues, I won’t be able to continue taking it. I have to either taper off with the 11 doses I have left or quit cold turkey.
    • Posted

can you find any one who is using olanzapine can get sufficient doses for your taper?
    • Posted

You must have doc taper you off medically sound as to avoid seizures awa TD , trimmers dystonia and soreness. To dangerous to no avail one self to going by the oath doctor takes
  • Posted

Do not stop taking Zyprexa abruptly or you will start to have tardive dyskinesia which is very uncomfortable but if you do have any symptoms take some Benadryl because it aids in reverseing reaction

• Posted

Jon announce here from which country you are. So that any one from your country may provide you olanzapine doses from their medical insurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.