Was put on amiodrone for 25 days. Will I be okay?

Posted , 3 users are following.

AFIB.  Cardiac abliation and doctor put me on amiodrone for 25 days.  Off it now.  What tests do I need to have done?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I've been ordered on it, but I'm afraid to to take it.

• Posted

I know.  They tried so many.  I had 4 afib attacks since Christmas Eve. They did a catheter abliation and then cardioverted me    Sent me home for 25 days on decreasing dose.   I finished Sunday.  So far I am not having afib.  If you take for a short time.   How long does your Dr want you on it?
    • Posted

You need not be afraid.You need to take the medication as advised by your GP or cardiologist. Check your thyrods (T3 ,T4 & Tsh,) before and after taking the drugs as the Amiodrone causes thyorod and needs correction by taking Thyronorm or equivalent. please take the advise of your GP .Take care.

• Posted

Amiodrone ( cardaron) is the best drug available for AFIB. It is very safe and effective. The side effect is you get thyrod problem if you do not have.So you may have to take tab thyronorm along with Amiodrone. Please check with your cardiologists or Electro physiologist for guidance.

I am on Amiodrone for the last 1 year after angioplasty.

• Posted

Thank you.  He took me off after 25 days.   He said that was his intention.  I have to have blood work now and in three months and am vision check.   This Afib is not easy to deal with. 
  • Posted

Amiodrone is a good drug.It normally takes 3-4 weeks to act.At the same time the drug effect lasts in the body for more than a month after stopping it. But it is advisable to take a maintenance dose for which consult your cardiologist or Electro physiologist. Take care.
  • Posted

A Halter Monitor for 24 hrs is a good way to detect AFIB.It takes ECG continuously and you can also record the events with the help of a button, when your AFIB occur.All the data are stored in the monitor and the data's are printed out as a graph the next day by the technician. These data's are interpreted by the GP to diagnose the problem. Most AFIB are harmless and by taking a brisk walk settles the palpitations. Any way you GP is the best to guide you and also treat your AFIB.Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.