Was seriously ill in hospital and they never found out what was wrong (PLEASE READ)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been out of hospital for around 6 months now but they never found out what was wrong so was just wondering if anyone has any ideas

So 7 days after my 17th birthday I went into A&E with bad stomach pains and throwing up when I got there they did my heart rate and blood pressure and it was extremely high so they wanted to keep me in and after further tests it showed my infection markers were high and they believed it was comming from around the liver after being in for a week and getting worse and many more blood tests they still had no idea what was. I was on constant antibiotics and the only thing new they found out was my gall bladder was enlarged but with no signs of improving and no idea what was wrong they discharged me after a week but a few days later I came back as I was getting much worse so they did more blood tests and scans over the next week or 2 and my blood platlets started to get low and my kidney and liver function was going down and I was collapsing so they decided to transfer me to a hospital in a different city and I was put into ICU and while I was in ICU nothing was getting better and my kidneys and liver had basically stopped working and they had done almost every scan and blood test possible along with getting loads of different doctors involved but they where still baffled. Cutting the long story short they put me on steroid tablets and gave me a blood transfusion and everything started to get better and I was let out a few weeks later and they diagnosed me with glandular fever but even my outpatient doctor said he's almost 100% sure it wasn't that and they will probably never know.

So I just wanted to know do you belive it was wrong of them to discharge me the first time with no idea what was wrong

And also does anyone have any idea what it could have been

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It may well have been an infection of some sort.  Since you are well again, I wouldn’t bother wondering what it was.  Glandular fever can be quite common in young people; my cousin had it at university and it knocked her for six. You won’t be able to get a diagnosis here because most of us are not doctors; you are better to speak to your doctor about it.

They probably shouldn’t have discharged you initially until they found the cause.

• Posted

Yeah I know it could have been anything and I mainly posted it here to see if anyone has had any similar experiences. but the thing with them not knowing what it was is if I ever have some sort of stomach pain or throwing up it worries me thinking it could be this comming back.
    • Posted

If you ever get vomiting or stomach pain again of the type you got before, don’t worry,; just go straight to your doctor.   In any case, it may never come back; the chances are it was a one off random virus.
  • Posted

Hi kyle69046

Can you recall when the stomach pain and throwing up first started...what had you eaten or drank what were you doing at that time that might have caused your symptoms?...or did they just appear from nowhere?...did you have a temperature?...what bloid tests dud you have?...

• Posted

I know weeks leading up I was really tired for no reason I was at college the day before perfectly fine then the next day I woke up and had mild stomach pain but it didn't feel like a normal stomach ache the only way I could describe it is like a cramp but it also didn't feel like cramp lol the pain was mainly in the middle and right side if I remember correctly and I decided to try something to eat but before I eat anything I threw bile up and yes I did have a temperature through the whole of my hospital stay but they just gave me paracetamol. and a few other things I didn't mention in the post is I had diahreah and at one point I couldn't control It at all and couldn't make it to the toilet and my urine also went really dark after a day of being in hospital and had a really weird smell. At first they thought it was gaull stones as my gaull bladder was inflamed but they also thought it was an infection as the infection markers around my liver was high and they treated me with antibiotics on a drip and also fluid as I kept getting dehydrated and I think it helped as my stomach pain completely went after 2 days in hospital but I still continued to get worse which is strange. And I honestly couldn't tell you what blood tests I had I'm pretty sure they did every blood test possible as I had them everyday and sometimes 10+ at a time and they also did every scan they could do and did a liver and lymph node biopsy and they came back as fine

One last thing not sure If I mentioned it in my original post but they put me on a high dose of steroid tablets and that helped and everything started working again.

Also sorry if this text is all over the place and If you need any more info I'd happily give you any

• Posted

Hi kyle69046

Are you still on steroids?...you probably had high inflammation markers ESR and CRP....not ' infection markers'......the steroids only control the inflammation but doesn't cure it....

• Posted

No I am no longer on steroid tablets I had to take 12 5mg tablets and every week reduced it by one till I came off them. and they said to me that I had an infection around my liver and pretty sure they said infection markers but maybe I was wrong.
    • Posted

Im also not to sure what they put me on steroids for as they didn't seem to have to much communication with me when I was in hospital and I've only been finding certain things out since I've been out of hospital. I was thinking about seeing if it would be possible for them to give me a copy of my file from when I was in hospital just so I can see everything with my own eyes

• Posted

Hi kyle69046

I don't know what country you are in...if it's UK under the 'Freedom of Information Act' you are entitled to request your doctor records and blood test results also hospital records....just request them....just explain you have no understanding of what was wrong with you when you were in hospital and you would like to see your hospital record and blood tests....

• Posted

you need a holistic doctor to check on vitamin and mineral loses you could be very low on magnizem, vitamin D, or other key vitamims 
    • Posted

I recently had blood test for another reason and it came back i was lacking vitamin d but I don't think that had anything to do with what happened

• Posted

I think it's probably the reason vitamin D controls a lot of different functions you should have a D level of over 50 to 70 my wife sugar diabetic problem tmproved extreamly.  I have a aorta aneurism high doses of vitamin C reduced the size, no more need for operations. Remember Doctors don't make money on healthy people. 

• Posted

I don't know I doubt it was the vitamin d that caused all that and also I live in the UK and we have the NHS so health care was completley free thankfully enough

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.