Was taking Naltrexone but fell off the wagon hard.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking Naltrexone for about 2 months now was doing really well until management restructuring at my work made me think I was going to lose my job. I know I'm just using it as an excuse but I just kept increasing my alcohol intake and now I'm having severe withdrawals. Mostly just rapid heartbeat and severe nauseousness. Haven't eaten very much in three days now I'm going onfour. Last night I went home sick and hid a pint of vodka from my wife that I sipped on all night up until about now at 9am. Have to leave for work in a couple of hours and I'm totally terrified. I'm so tired of having withdrawals. I thought I could keep drinking but now I just don't think I can. It was so nice at first but it was too easy for me to fall back into my old habits. I'm too afraid to lose my wife I just need to taper down but I don't know how I can. Now I have a new management position and have to go to training and have it really slept in 3 days. I know I posted something like this many times. But I feel like I just needed to say something.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

HI there...lots of problems and issues to handle and too much drinking..you seem to have pressure all around you all week. Poor sleep as well...boy is your life complicated and we need to find a plan for you!! can we perhaps start with better eating and better sleep?? Less drinking gradually?? let me know if you can please. regards Robin
    • Posted

I'm trying to eat more and consume more water. I want to taper. I just started drinking during the day about a week ago. Now it's through the night into the morning and keeps going.

• Posted

i used to drink non stop and had panic attacks when I could not remember where the hidden vodka bottle was....finally had to give up since I was destroying my life and family around me...try to stop gradually and REWARD yourself...cakes?? anything to have less panick attacks....best of luck..Robin
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I'm already off to a rough start having had half a pint of vodka and a beer but I'm going to just push through and go to work

• Posted

I agree with Robin, reward yourself.  I have tapered from 2 bottles of wine a night to 2 small glasses Monday to Friday and Sat/Sun a full bottle each night so I get some sleep.

But a reward has been my saving (as in a small bottle of wine) if I did not do this I would have to have something else to reward me - viz a chocolate bar or plate of cheese and biscuits, anything that pleases you but just to look forward to later on in the evening.

It is a hard slog, but we all know it and keep going.

17, You have tried your best and hit a halt - well so have I many times, and I am still not giving in.  Neither must you - you have done it before SO DO IT AGAIN. 

When I am on track like now - it makes me smile when I think of my internal organs holding up a hive five to me.

Much love your way guys.

G.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. This forum always reminds me that there are so many other people out there going through what I am going too. That is great advice about giving my self the occasional prize. I let the stress get to me and then it took hold physically. I normally would have had 6 or more drinks by 10am this week and today just q.5 and I'm hoping that if the shakes don't set in I'll maybe have 3 beers tonight and finally get a full night sleep. Thanks for replying again I'm so glad to hear things front a different angle

• Posted

I meant today 1.5 drinks. I think I can do this.
    • Posted

your mind is already working better. YES you are still drinking but now having less issues in your mind and less concerns since you realised that there are so many of us out there who have been through hell in the past and eventually got through it by perseverance...you do it!! reward yourself!! Robin
    • Posted

Bro - this sure is a rough start - and the END OF IT.  It is soo stupid - but at the time it sure seems like fun.  I have never had a drink in the morning, usually 5 ish for me - but I can sometimes really want one at lunchtine - but refuse to give in.  You are on a hiding to hell my friend - jeez all night - I used to do that when a young un - you will carry on until a light bulb moment hits you - bammmm - right in the face.  You can return to what was before - I tapered with success and that is with the fact that  10 optics were  calling me and laughing - (hubs not mine).  Please stop NOW - all night and day is  slaying your organs, they are human too and they need you to survive - don't leave them alone and empty.  Family is special - but that is for you to decide bro.

You will do it with these guys on here - magic they are.

I will not say good luck - not necessary - you have the guts to do it.

G x

• Posted

Thanks. This time was bad but I'm already feeling better. Will still take the Naltrexone tonight and have promised myself just three beers. By Sunday night I hope to be good. No drinking in the morning tomorrow. I think I'm past the worst part and didn't want to throw up when I was trying to eat lunch. Thanks for the words of encouragement

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.