Was this a Seizure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there, last night i had a truly terrifying experience and wanted to gauge whether others think was a seizure and what my next course of action was. For context i am 44 year old father of 2, keep fit, probably drink too much and probably slightly overweight. I also had 2 strokes 10 and 8 years ago, the second of which was an AVM that required radiotherapy and then surgery. This has left me with some weakness on one side of my body but always been manageable

I travel a lot for work and was in a hotel last night. I woke in the middle of the night feeling like i had slept on my rightarm and it was numb, i went to shake it (to get feeling back) but as i did it started convulsing, quickly followed by my right leg. This wouldnt stop and it was then i became paralysed completely and unable to talk. I tried like hell to sit up, roll over but i couldnt move, by this point my leg and arm were in agony from the muscle contractions. I was in absolute panic, terrified and wondered i was having another stroke (it felt nothing like the 2 strokes where i could move at least parts of my body). I then felt myself slipping out of consciousness and honestly i thought i was dying. I must have come round at some point afterwards having stopped shaking but my back, arm and leg were in agony. I had no idea how long i was out for

So does this sound like a seizure? I have an appointment to see a doctor tomorrow but wanted to get a few views first? Could it be an isolated one-off or more likely something that will re-occur? Do i need to stop driving, give alcohol a miss for a while? Could it happen while im awake?  Im actually feeling wary of going back to sleep tonight unless it happens again :-(

Thanks for listening

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I don't think that was a seizure.... But yes please keep away from alcohol. That will certainly help you.

Take care..

May God bless you.

• Posted

Hi JoeShmoe

This sounds like  horrible experience, this dosen't sound like any seizure i have experienced, but everyone has a different type of seizure. Could this be somthing to do with your musicle pains/weakness you have been expereincing from your stroke ?

This is also sounds like sleep Paralysis, due to the fact you couldn't move. Your doctor is the best person you can speak to as if he/she thinks that this maybe a seizure then he/she will refer you to the hospital for tests. The only way you can tell if it will re occur is if it does, they didnt send me for testing until i had a 3rd seizure 2 weeks after my first. 

I would just wait and see what the doctor says, in the mean time make sure you try to relax as much as you can as a trigger for seizures is stress smile

I hope this helps, i dont think it did much but i tried hahah

Dannie x

• Posted

Thanks for replying ! The reason i dont think it was sleep paralysis is that ive had that before once or twice (that feeling of being awake when asleep) but i was absolutely awake when this started, wasnt dreaming and knew that the violent convulsing was going on. Could it have been a secondary generalised seizure ? 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link as users can easily find the information using a search engine rather than linking to a specific website. If users want the specific link use the Private Message service to exchange.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

All I can say is what happens to me,  so my arm shoots up and jerks and then I try and call but all that comes out is cug cug snort, my version of gutteral noises.  My arm goes dead for at least 15 minutes or longer.  I feel like I have run a marathon.

See Doc and sorry I cannot help more xx Be brave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.