was told i have a 2mm kidney stone, what should i do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

i went to the urologist and he did an ultrasound and told me i have a 2mm kidney stone on my right side. he didn’t say if it was in my kidney or in the urethra tube. he didn’t give me anything to take.. or say he wanted to do any testing to figure out ehat kind of stone it could be. is this normal? should i go get another opinion? i have had about 4 or 5 kidney stones before. i think the biggest was 4mm. each time ive had one i would wake up with pain and need to go to the er where they would give me medication. i have stopped drinking the iced tea which is what i think caused them but am not sure since ive never had them tested and only seen one of them. the one i had prior to this was in april of 2016. i stopped drinking the tea after that, so im not sure where this one came from and it’s making me nervous im only 20 and have been getting them since 2012. i have bad anxiety/panic attacks and am so scared of needing to have surgery or go back to the hospital. sorry if this is too much information it would be nice to talk to someone who could offer some advice. is it possible to dissolve it? if i drink enough water will i be able to stay out of the er? will it get bigger? i know you might not have a diagnosis just looking for anything to help ease my mind a bit. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is the reason you visited the urologist because you were feeling pain? A 2mm should be easy enough to pass, but I kind of think he should have given you something to dilate your ureter to help it along. Maybe not super strong pain meds, but something to ease the passing and save you an ER trip (though with the opioid epidemic, not sure how easily getting the stuff that barely scratches the pain is going to be in the future). I have a stash of hydrocodone for emergency kidney stone passing since I'm now a multiple stoner. You could always try calling his office and ask about getting some scripts to make this easier.

I hear tea is bad (though I'm getting some mixed messages about green tea, so I'm still drinking the green stuff). But other than tea, are you drinking a ton of water? Seems to be a common issue with us stoners...not getting enough water. And by enough...we are looking at close to a gallon, give or take depending on your situation. Do you know what kind of stones you are making? Most common is calcium oxylate and the likely age to start producing them is usually 30's and 40's. But I've met a few young people about your age that get uric acid stones. If you don't know, you need a proactive urologist that will run a 24 hour urine collection and blood work to figure out what is going on.

• Posted

well i sometimes feel this dull ache in both of my kidneys it lasts a few minutes and then stops, and due to my anxiety im scared of hospitals and stuff like that so i figured better to try and take care of it now before it gets to that point. i have had green tea a few times since my stone in 2016 since i read its good for stones, i asked the doctor today and he said i can have green tea actually! im very nervous about taking medication since thats where i my anxiety started. they gave me morphine in the hospital once and i hated it so two years ago they gave me something called toradol instead i think. i try to drink around 3 liters of water a day. including some lemon water. i was hoping the urologist would do a 24 hour test or some bloodwork but he didn’t. i have an appointment with another urologist on monday and am hoping they’ll do more testing to figure out the kind of stone! and maybe something that i can have for pain i think that would help ease my mind as well. thanks so much for this!
  • Posted

Really not sure if you will be able to pass or dissolve this. Urologist should have told you. You can find loads of information on the internet but probably best not to trust it all so be careful.

I had quite a few large kidney stones and had them removed by keyhole surgery at beginning of December.

Drink plenty of water. Also Robinson's Lemon Barley Water is good for kidney stones. You need to get this sorted, do not just get passed from one person to another. You could ask for a second opinion I think.

The main thing is not to worry too much. I know this is easier said than done but stress will not help.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

all he said was it was fairly small and if i have any pain or anything to call him. (yet i tried called him multiple times today and it keeps saying the lines are busy)  i wish he would have told me more about what to do to make sure it doesn’t get any bigger and  maybe given me something to have just incase. i have an appointment with a new urologist on monday, hoping they can help more. thanks for you help sarah! i will keep in touch! you do the same (:  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.