Washing face and eyes after cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I would love to know how people wash their face after cataract surgery without getting water in their eyes. Any best practices would be greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Wet cotton pads

• Posted

Thanks Jane. Did you avoid the eye area completely?

I have trouble getting over the idea that my blepharitis will get lots worse without washing the lash line but maybe that's part of the deal?

• Edited

The recommendation from the doctor is to use cold boiled water with a cotton pad to gently wipe any discharge or gunk around the eye.

• Edited

Thanks Jane. So you only clean the eye area if there is gunk around the eye. If there is no gunk, then you leave the eye alone?

• Edited

I personally leave it, just for caution. If there's a bit of fluff I also wipe it down. I just make sure the cotton pad isn't soaked and dripping if you see what I mean.

• Posted

Right now I'm using damp cotton pads on my face still avoiding the eyes and eyelids. I've gotten permission to resume Systane Hydration PF to manage my dry eyes. It occurred to me today to add an extra couple of drops per eye without hopefully the risk of water. I feel like I should add don't try this at home!

• Edited

I just kept my face pretty horizontal over the sink, and kept my eyes closed the whole time. I didn't open my eyes until I had gently patted that part of my face dry with the towel.

• Edited

Thank you Bookwoman! Did you avoid touching the eye area?

• Posted

Thank you! I notice now that the cataract post operative instruction sheet says "Bathing/showering the day after surgery are OK, but avoid water in eye for 1 week."

So it's just a matter of being** sure** to keep the eye shut!

• Edited

I am afraid that I did not follow instructions not to shower for the first week. I just faced away from the shower and kept my eyes closed. I recall I left the eye shield on however and very carefully dried the eye.

• Edited

I think the risk of using the shower or getting water in your eyes is bacterial contamination in the first week before the incision fully heals. It would seem one way to address that risk would be to plan your face wash or like I did, careful shower, to be right before you put in the first antibacterial eye drops for the day. That way the drops can take care of any "bugs" that might have gotten into your eye.

• Posted

Great approach! Thanks for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.