Washing hair after cataract surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had cataract surgery 2 weeks ago on my right eye.....Been for a check up today and forgot to ask when is it safe to wash my hair....Any advice would be most welcome.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There should not be any issue due to your washing your hair 2 weeks after your cataract surgery.

Even for the first 1-2 weeks, the restriction is really on making sure that no water gets in your eye and that you don't rub your eyes when washing your hair.

• Posted

Thanks... It's just that we only have a shower and i find it difficult to

Wash my hair without getting water in my eyes, i can't bend over to

Do it because i have a bad back, so have been going to the

Hairdresser's..x

• Posted

I was told I could wash my hair and face immediately, but to not get water or soap in my eyes because it may sting.  I believe there is a short period of time that you may also be suseptible to infection from bacteria in water, but I believe that time period is less than a week.  
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, from what i can gather it's 2 weeks, but wanted to

Make sure...x

• Posted

Also, to add, close your eyes and gently dab the towel on your eyes (actually your eyelids since your eyes would be closed) when or if the water feels uncomfortable while you are in the shower.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.