Watch and wait??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I just had an ultrasound of the cervical lymph node. The technician grabbed the radiologist to come take a look and after looking at my scan the radiologist sat me down to talk. He asked me a bunch of questions, if I had a history of cancer etc. I asked him if he thought this lymph node was cancer and he said no. I asked if we should do a biopsy and he said no, not yet. Since I had strep throat in November and another throat infection at the beginning of February, he wants to wait a few months and rescan. I don't know how I feel about this. I've been suffering from intermittent fatigue (along with a host of other symptoms) since December.

I'm assuming my GP will have my ultrasound results tomorrow and I plan on discussing everything with her. Should I push for a biopsy? I'm not totally in the panic zone yet but I am slightly concerned given all of my other symptoms.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth. If it was me I'd push for a biopsy. I've had lymphoma, and, although you probably haven't got it, if it did happen to be the case the quicker a diagnosis is made the better. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. How are you feeling now? I just put a call into my Doctor Who is calling the radiologist to get the results now. I'm assuming that these doctors know little bit more than me and Dr. Google LOL I want to be trusting of their opinions but I also want to advocate for myself and I guess that is where I'm finding the gray area. I don't want to sound like a total neurotic hypochondriac and push for a biopsy because I hear those biopsies can present issues of their own.

• Posted

Hi. I totally empathise with what you say, no-one wants to be labelled neurotic. The only issue that I'm aware of with a biopsy is if it's a FNB (fine needle biopsy) as opposed to a surgical one. It has been known for a needle biopsy to miss some cancer cells that may be on the perimeter of the node, whereas a surgical one removes and tests the entire node (which is what I had done). It's 19 months since I finished chemo and radiotherapy, so far so good except that during a routine scan a meningioma (tumour of the meninges which is the covering over the brain) was found for which I am awaiting treatment. Because I sought medical treatment as soon as I found the lump behind my ear my cancer was caught very early on, stage 1a. You need peace of mind, push for that biopsy.

• Posted

Glad yours was caught so early on. Last year I had a head and neck MRI (unrelated issue) and no lymph nodes were noted. So I'm hoping if this is something, it is a very early something. Still waiting to hear from my doctor. I find the waiting the worst part of all

• Posted

Okay, so I just got off the phone with my GP. She was reading the radiology report and said that the mass was hypoeconic mildly enlarged lymph node. She said that no one believed it to be cancer at this point. She did however want me to get in to see the ENT as soon as possible since my MRI for my unilateral hearing loss is next Friday. She wanted me to touch base with them about this issue prior to having the MRI done.

As I mentioned in my original post, I've had so many weird and wacky symptoms one of which was unilateral hearing loss and tonsil regrowth. I had my tonsils out in 1994 and upon discovering the unilateral hearing loss at the ENT, he also said my tonsils were growing back. Maybe that could be the reason why my lymph nodes are going wacky??? I'm a hot, hot mess. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.