Watch and wait versus hormone therapy

Posted , 9 users are following.

my father is 82 and just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

psa 13.7

gleason score 7 (4+3) - intermediate risk!!

he has been advised to follow watch and watch surveillance for 6mths with a repeat psa prior to appt in may.

his consultant has advised his GP to commence hormone therapy if he becomes anxious and psa rises to 20+

his therapy would be bicalutamide 150mg daily and tamoxifen 40mg twice daily.

has anyone uses this hormone therapy, if so, did they experience any serious side effects?

i would be very interested to hear from anyone regarding this please.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Carol

I am sorry to hear of your father's predicament.

My Background:

I am 50 and was recently dx'd with a Gleason 9 and opted for RARP. 4 months on I feel pretty damn peachy. No pads and almost pre-RARP bathroom visits.

My advice, as a patient, which most men in the room are:

I agree 100% with Rodgerdodger and with romneyj's statement on outliving the cancer given there is no evidence of metastastis to the skeleton or node involvement. 

Sure your Dad is anxious. Who wouldn't be? And he wants a plan of action. I agree. BUT that is not synonymous with aggressive treatment.

I like what you were told by the urologist: to recheck the PSA in time. If he wants to feel on top of issues, then you can have him check the PSA in 3 and not 6 months.

Also, when you mention his nominal PSA level, note it is the change over time i.e. the velocity that matters and not the no nominal  number. In his case you offered only one number so we can't infer the significance of that number because folk can have PCa with a PSA of 1 and others can have no PCa when their PSA is very high.

If in 3 months the PSA has climbed significantly ( note the rule of thumb is a doubling in one year means PCa in most cases) THEN he could actively inquire about Radiation. I would keep away from hormone therapy if possible.

Best wishes. Please keep us informed.

• Posted

I work at Procure Cancer Center in Oklahoma City. I am 78 years old and went through proton therapy almost 6 years ago. My PSA was only 4.2 when my urologist discovered a small lump in my prostate through a rectal exam. After a biopsy it was determined that my gleason score was 7. Fortunately, it was caught in time and I am 6 years out this April with no side effects. As a past patient and as a patient transport, among other duties, at the Cancer Center I have the opportunity to talk to many patients. Those who have waited too long totally hate having to take the hormone treatments. I suggest you go online to Procure Cancer Center, read about proton therapy and even talk to one of the intake nurses which can put you in touch with one of the Dr's. on staff. The educational benefit might prove valuable to you. Wishing you the best......................

• Posted

Hi Carol, Your Father's MRI said there is evidence the PCa has left his prostate and invaded one of his seminal vessels. It has a Gleason score of 4+3, meaning it is not to be ignored, even for an 82 year old. The PSA is sort of useful, but you need several earlier ones to form an opinion/graph of the PSA increase over time. The MRI gives you a PIRAD score and staging what was his?

Thinking these days is a 82 year old just diagnosed with PCa will probably decease from something else other than PCa. Yeah, well, these days a otherwise healthy, fit and active 82 year old could still have 10+ years. The medical profession prefer hormone treatment to avoid surgery due to the age of patient.

Sure, your father could 'wait' to see if his prostate cancer became a problem, but maybe not to good for his state of mind. Some people are ok with AS, some are not and are of the 'get it out of me' type. Others ok to retain prostate, but some sort of action to kill it within the prostate. 

From what I have read, hormone therapy can be a life changer for some, and not a positive one. Many senior guys refuse a subcapsular orchiectomy (castration) as not manly, but maybe better quality of life than hormone therapy.

After watching my very fit and healthy 75 year old Father in law die from PCa, a few months before the end, he said if he had his time again, he would not have agreed to AS, and later hormone therapy, but have had Brachytherapy or radiation. He had refused an orchiectomy. In his case, the cancer was reported as 4+3. When it did escape, it went straight to his brain. His PSA initially was slowing, but then was doubling every 6 months. In the last year, it went vertical.   

• Posted

Geoff, I wish to echo your comment to Carol about a 75yo, when he reconsidered the matter, would choose brachytherapy or radiation, rather than AS and later hormone therapy.

My 2 cents is that surgery at 75 is not the answer if non surgical solutions are available.

• Posted

Yes Barney. Agree. While robotic surgery is less stressful on the body, at 82, this is still serious surgery. Many times it is not the actual surgery but the recovery that takes a toll. 

My Mother is 93 this year, and she has bladder cancer they have been keeping under control for many years. The doctor said to me a few months ago, the 6 monthly surgery recovery is now a greater risk to her health than the cancer due to several other health matters. Unfortunately, we have to let nature takes its course. 

Geoff

• Posted

Spot on when you talk of the stress surgery has on the body. The distended abdomen, for 10 days and the incontinence, for an unspecified period of time is too much stress for seniors. As is the possible nerve pain, which I experienced and still do. Thank goodness for Amitriptilyne!

As to your mother's bladder cancer, I agree. In fact I know of a 65yo who agree to surgery and the radiation and it took him months to recover. I have no doubt that if he wa 93 there is no way he'd agree to major treatment.

Best wishes to your mother.

• Posted

My Urologist informed me that Robotic-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy was out of the question in my case at my age 76. If I decided to have treatment.
    • Posted

I am glad to hear a urologist will not perform such surgery on a 76 year old. If I was mid 70s with anything like a 4+3 or greater I would seriously look at radiation therapy.

But one needs to take into account any other maladies one has.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.