Watchful Waiting

Posted , 13 users are following.

67 yrs prostate 80ml median lobe enlargement

Mod - bad BPH symptoms for 1 year. 

Duodart for 6 months eased symptoms says full effects DDart takes 12 months no bad DDart symptoms

This week Uro confirmed prostate getting smaller but flagged procedure will ultimately be required.

Wants to assess in late March 18 if no improvement pushing to do TURPS.

Anyone had experience with Duodart

Know many people who have had TURPS  with no problem or concern of RE.

Is RE 100% outcome for TURPS

I am not sure on TURPS. If I maintain status quo will symptoms worsen. I have read prostate slows down is this correct?

Any opinions/options appreciated,

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Since writing early on in this discussion I have now had 5 terrible days with a violent urine infection, can't get a self catheter in as my prostate has swollen so large. As a result rushed to hospital and they had hard work getting a catheter in which is now very, very, sore as Prostate is pushing on it. They can only distinguish mixed growth so after 3 days they have sent me home in pain with  Pivmicillan that I have been on for 2 weeks and previously about 12 weeks with others. They say they don't know what to do next and I notice tonight my urine is going red.  My view is take it out, but I notice others on here say leave it. What would you do in order to get back to normal life as Would love to know ?

PS  My wife is worn out with these problems for 6 years.

• Posted

You were doing pretty good there for a while.  I am so sorry to hear that.  I hope you get better so.  The only thing I can say is I hope god helps you make the right decision.  Your a good man and you deserve some peace in that area.  Good luck Ken 
    • Posted

Your urine is red because of some bleeding caused by the catheter insertion. This is not unusual. If you remove the catheter you won't be able to urinate so you should leave it in until your infection clears and your tissue swelling goes down. To prevent further infections make sure to lubricate the insertion tube on The Foley Catheter with Neosporin. Anything that goes in you has to be free of bacteria. You absolutely need a longer term solution to your prostate size issue. Good that you are on this forum. 

• Posted

Thanks for that Tom, it was Monday when the catheter went in, so I thought it would have settled now, and for a first time I never felt it go in. The lady ( ex ward assistant ) who did it had specialized in putting catheters in and I asked her how she did it. She told me get Instelagel in and give time for it to work, then when starting put more in so that the catheter takes it up past the Prostate, calming and lubricating that area. She then put a large Canula in my arm, she hit the vein first time (they are normally wobbly) never felt it other than as they say a little scratch !  .  Would like some comments on how to reduce Prostate size to get it away from the catheter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.