Water aerobics exercises

Posted , 6 users are following.

DOES ANYONE USE WATER AEROBICS? WHAT EXERCISES DO YOU USE.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 weeks out from my TKR and my dr just approved me to get in our hot tub. Cant wait to get in it here as soon as our weather gets out of the deep freeze here in Nebraska!! Good luck on your aerobics!!

• Posted

YES! I do warm water aerobics & love it! It is the only exercise that i can do without feeling a lot of pain other than using a stationary bike.Just getting in the extra warm therapy pool makes everything feel better. i had a TKR & need another one as well as having arthritis in my other joints. The instructors have degrees in physical therapy, etc. and make sure you are making the movements correctly. i do it 4 days a week for 45 min each session. each day we do different exercises making sure we warm up, have some cardio time, & then stretching. l LOVE IT! Good luck on finding a good program.

• Posted

I did them as soon as my wound was closed , used my own pool to start with , you can use a noodle under your foot for some resistance , and bend knee back , again better if some resistance on ankle . I also went to water aerobic classes and did what i could . Best thing for it, some physios have their own small heated pool . But I live in tropics so didnt need that in summer as pools warm anyway . Do it its good for your whole body

• Posted

Just had my aqua therapy session this morning so here are some things for you to do! Note that I do this in a VERY warm (96 degrees) heated "therapy" pool which helps.

Walk: forward and backwards (heel, toe) and side to side, both directions

As someone else said, put a noodle under your foot and do "knee lowers" (the opposite of knee raises?)

Hold on to the wall and do 3-ways: lift front 10 times, side 10 times, back 10 times. Do both legs to strengthen both of them.

Use a noodle to float in deeper water and "bicycle" for 5 minutes

Face the wall, put the noodle under your ankle, and let it raise your foot so it is bending your knee (you may need someone to help you with this by holding the noodle)

Put a step of some kind in the water and use it to practice your stepping up and down. This will help you strengthen your quads while at the same time providing a little support so your knee is not so stressed.

I go once a week in addition to my land therapy, so I will try to remember to post some more next week!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.