Water and Fiber Supplement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone find drinking more water and also adding fiber supplement to their diet helps IBS? Every gastro I've gone too says drink more water and add a fiber supplement. I'm finding that the water does nothing for constipation for me and the fiber supplement is either too low a dose but when I increase it even a little get bad gas in my abdomen.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you tried fruit instead; particularly prune juice?

• Posted

no never tried prune juice i notice if i up the fiber it irritates my bowels and they bother me for a couple days and makes me nauseas. like if i force the bowels it seems this happens and i dont know why

• Posted

You may need to reduce your fibre intake. Also, sometimes insoluable fibre can cause bowel irritation with IBS but soluable fibre is better. Perhaps only up your fibre when necessary and only take a small amount of it. Don't worry about why it it happens; it is common with IBS.

• Posted

Water doesn't make much difference for me but diet does and exercise. Also it can take some time to get used to a fibre supplement which could be a few days of gas or cramps etc until it settles. Worth trying for a few days and if no improvement i would stop as that supplement isn't right for you. I started to take lepicol in a yoghurt recently and usually one spoon is enough. But i do notice that even taking a fibre supplement, diet plays a big role.

• Posted

Walking and running help mine. There are also yoga type stretches and breathing activities that may also be helpful.

• Posted

Your post really hit home. I suffer from IBS with constipation myself and can really empathize what you are going through. I always say, people who do not have this condition do not know what we go through.

Every doctor I have been to has also suggested the same. I too found the water and fiber alone, we're not much of a help Or at least not the "quick fix" to the problem.

I have found that stool softeners and magnesium supplements in conjunction with the water and fiber seem to improve things. There is a new medication called Motegrity, I have found it very helpful for the constipation. It is not a laxative-type medicine, it works with the body's censors in the brain to regulate bowl movements.

• Posted

Hi, I was having more fibre and drinking plenty of water, it was useless, started looking into this fibre issue and apparently it's a myth no scientific studies prove it helps and actually makes things worse, so I cut right down on anything containing fibre, so I was getting minimal fibre in foods, that was a few weeks back and now no bloating and bowel movement every day instead of every 5 days.

• Posted

I agree, I noticed less fiber made me feel better but these doctors insist I should take it. I believe the fiber might help those with constipation who don't have ibs. i can drink until I feel like I'm drowning and it hasnt seemed to make a difference either. I dont know if anyone follows Heathers Tummy products but shes sort if an expert on the subject and she pushes fiber as well.

• Posted

I find I feel better with more fibre in my diet rather than less. I have always been prone to constipation even before my IBS. Even with my IBS, fibre helps me.Different things work for different people It doesn't matter what the scientific research says because you can actually skew it to make it fit the results you want. It isn't always accurate and can be conflicting. It relies on textbook scenarios rather individual experiences. Everyone's metabolism is different. When I go abroad, I get more constipated because of change of diet. I treat the problem by eating lots of fruit and this gets my bowel moving again.

• Posted

That is true and it's something the doctors constantly remind me of. "everyone is different - that why it's hard to treat with one single medicine so we treat the symptoms".

• Posted

Your doctor is right, so you should listen to your doctor and trust what he or she is telling you. This is the very best you can do to manage your anxiety and other IBS symptoms. You have to find the treatment that best suits you and go with that. Once you work that out, it will give the best chance of living with your IBS. My IBS is under control because I know what triggers it and I have found a medication that works for me. My trigger is stress and anxiety; as long as I avoid these things, I have control over my symptoms. If I do get unexpected stress and I get a flare up, painkillers and Buscopan clear it up.

Try to get help for your anxiety, try an antispasmodic or painkiller and stick to reduced fibre since that helps you.With IBS, it's what works for you that counts; research and other people's solutions may not actually work for you. You have to try a combination of things.

• Posted

I find cycling helps me but any activity will be good. It helps to keep things moving and blood circulation around the gut. Also helps with trapped gas.

• Posted

i second that! the exercise is certainly imperative for ridding the trapped gas!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.