Water collecting in the bottom of my orthopedic boot

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my leg about a week ago. For the first 2 days they put me in a fiberglass splint, now I'm in a boot. (has all kinds of straps n stuff)

After taking it off today I noticed it was soaking wet on the foam part under the liner. I'm not sure if it's sweat or what.. I sponged most of it out with tissues. I don't know what the water is or how to prevent it.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wow, that seems strange.  If it happens again I would call my doctors office for guidance.  I was in a boot (toes to knee) 24 hours a day for 4 weeks.  I took it off to shower but couldn't put weight on that side.  The hardest thing was dealing with keeping my sheets clean by putting a pillow case over the boot.  Good luck with your recovery.  Oh, I also remember having a lot of night pain at first because I pulled all those straps too tight.

• Posted

WHAT?!?  Post a photo.  I had to wear a cam walking boot for 8 months through rain and snow, it never got soaked.  Did you shower with it on?  Take a dip in the pool?  Pull the pieces apart and let everything dry.  Call your doctor's office Monday. Speak to the nurse if the doctor isn't available.  C R A Z Y.  Good luck with your recovery.  Take care!

• Posted

Yeah it’s sweat I had the same problem, just make sure you wipe it clean everytime you take it off for the night or it’ll get smelly. I also washed the liner part of mine once a week. 

I had to wear a tubigrip on my leg to stop it swelling. Think this helped wick away that sweat too 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.