Water content in intraocular lens

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all! I'm wondering what is the difference between these 3 materials. Why some has a very high water content and other don't.

1) collamer 50% water content

2) hydrophilic acrylic 26% water content

3) hydrophobic acrylic 0% water content

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You forgot to include silicone IOLs like the IOL I have made by Bausch & Lomb. Aside from doing a search online, you would probably have to ask the different lens manufacturers for that information. I just did a search for iol water content and got a whole list of articles to read. I'm not sure if any of them have the answer you're looking for though.

• Posted

Thank you. My question is how water level impacts on iol performance. 
    • Posted

I think you should try contacting some lens manufacturers by phone to see if they can answer. I doubt even most doctors would know the answer to that or even care to know the answer.
  • Posted

Johnson & Johnson now manufacturers Tecnis IOLs like the Symfony lens. You might try contacting them for information to start with - link to email them is at www. jnjvc. com / contact-us

Surgical Vision and Consumer Eye Health

By Phone

877-266-4543

Monday – Friday

5:30 am to 5 pm PST

By email

Please click here for our Surgical Support Contact Form

By Mail

Customer Relations, D-QA

Johnson & Johnson Vision

1700 East St. Andrew Place

Santa Ana, CA 92705-4933

United States 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.