Water retention and weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm on levothyroxine sodume for the past 5 years, I am an athletic person.

Since i was digonised with hypothyroidism i added 6 pounds on and A massive water retention and I never was able to go back to my normal weight range, my GP put me on 50 mg for the first month then gradually raised the dosage to 100 but refusing to ahigher it more, saying that I have a small firm,

( Iam 5 foot - 115 pounds I used to be 105 pounds) so I tryed to manipulate it my self, I raised my levothyroxin gradually to 125 then 150 so I start loosing weight but my maximum lives as was 3 pounds even though I eat very healthy ( no fat no wheat products - no sweets- etc...) My biggest problems started a year ago when I reached menopause and also had a harnia surgery ( I had an early menopause now I'm 47), I add on 11 pounds so now I'm 126 pounds even though I walk an hour on daily bases and twice a week spinning and weight training. I never been able to lose weight -

When I'm on 125 or 150I lose between 2 or 3 but I feel tired and I get flashes and night sweats and my GP warned me not to add my dosage cause long periods of overdose causes cardiac arrest or suddden Deaths. Any ideas?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Long periods of overdose with levothyroxine  ( an inert storage hormone). causes cardiac arrest or sudden death?  Lol... Ask him for references to prove that?  How is the doctor deciding you are overdosed?  Has he found that your free t3 is over range?

if it isnT over range, then you are not overdosed.

x

• Posted

Hypothyroidism can cause hot flashes, as can the meds. These hot flashes are different from menopausal symptoms. 

I blew up up like a balloon on the levo. Didn't work at any dose, really messed me up.m finally got some relief from amino acid therapy and dumped the meds. Not great, but so much better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.