Water to hydrate me

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am drinking much more water following medical advice to thin my mucus.

I also take carbocistine (mucadine) tablets 2 tablets twice a day.

The water is immediately passing through me making me go to the toilet for a frequent p** ( I am male 70 ++yrs old).

What if any advice can any one offer I.E substitute for water or other procedure to hydrate me but reduce the need to go for a p** frequently.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps check side effects of your meds.

Also your body should get used to more water and then maybe bathroom trips will lessen.

Check with your doctor. 

• Posted

I don't think there's a lot you can do about this unless your not eating enough, you could try drinking warm water, I get very dry so also drink a lot of water, but I snack a lot whole at work so I presume this prevents too many trips to the bathroom.

• Posted

I have always drunk a lot of water due to an autoimmune disease but now i have to drink 8 oz immediately twice a day when i take mucus thinners. I have to plan water consumption carefully so that i'm not up all night.

If you take oral steroids, they can mess with either the bladder or the way the body senses bladder urgency. Ican't do oral steroids. Every now and then I retrain my bladder by setting a stopwatch. Not allowed to visit the toilet until X amount of time since last visit. I increase the time by 15 minutes every couple of days, the goal for me being 1-2 hrs between visits. I'm 5'3" & usually drink 48-60oz of water every day in addition to anything else i drink & the fruit-veg i eat.

When it comes to bladder issues, men can't hold a candle to women. Our bladders are disproportionately smaller to begin with so that there's room for repro equipment, and few of us get to 60 without adhesions & plain scar tissue, all of which decreases bladder room.

• Posted

Hi Quintain, yes water does this to me as well, so i drink while in at home and have to be more careful if i go out,i do not drink tea and only one coffee in the morning, i also have two cardasiteens but Three times a day . 

i think i am lucky i am not at work im 68.

good luck Pam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.