Way more phlem

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking advair for a week and spiriva 3 days i have phlem at night so bad i cough and cough never had this before. Which medicine is making more phlem and does anyone else have this problem. Thank you Cindy

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Not sure about which inhaler us the problem, ,,,,,maybe you have started a chest infection ,

the copd team told me it's very important to do the cycle of breathing exersises to get up the mucus as if left in your lungs that's where the bugs grow ,,so better up and out ,,,than left at the base of your lungs ,

• Posted

Totally agree with Nanny. Although excess sputum generation is a normal feature of the disease, my UK medical action plan says that abnormal cough, abnormal amount of phlegm and a change in the colour of the phlegm to green or yellow will warrant a course of anti-biotics & steroids.  

I have breathing probs after using some inhalers - I'm probably alergic to the propellants - but I've not heard of them causing a coughing episode.

As Nanny suggests 'huff' 5 times in a row to help bring up the stuff, & keep as active as you can for the same reason.

Hope you recover soon !

• Posted

Thank u. i spoke to the dr and he said that is normal for when taking spiriva to help bring it all out so thank you.
  • Posted

A quick google of advair brought up the info that it can increase sputum production and that it also increases your chances of pneumonia, in which case I can't imagine why it's prescribed for people with COPD?

I also used to wake up  coughing and coughing far too early in the morning and would have to get up and sleep upright in an armchair for the rest of the night, but I very rarely have this since I started on the Symbicort twice a day.

if i  were you I'd be discussing this with whoever prescribed it ASAP and maybe getting a change in medication.   

• Posted

Thank you Jude. I was told advair is better than atrovent although it is almost the same. My mom takes atrovent and coughs alot

• Posted

Hi ,just a thought ,are you using inhalers ,,,,or accuhaler ???? 

The sudden breath in of ventalin used to make  me cough as it hit the back of my throat ,,,, so now I gave accuhalers ,,,no coordination needed just breathe in ,,,,,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.