ways of dealing with the symptoms

Posted , 46 users are following.

I've just recently gotten over a primary occurence of genital herpes. I can honestly say it was the most painful experience of my life. I caught it as a result of my boyfriend performing oral sex on me whilst suffering from a cold sore.

The symptoms lasted just under 2 weeks, and have cleared up due to a five day course of anti-viral medication (aciclovir.) I have a great deal of empathy for anyone who is or has suffered from this condition. It seems the only thing I wanted to do whilst suffering from this was curl up in bed and try not to move around. However, putting my life on hold was not an option so I took paracetamol at regular intervals and bought myself an anasthetic cream (Lanacane) from my local pharmacy. The cream helped but needed reapplying very often so if you can find yourself something stronger such as an anasthetic ointment I highly recommend you do. Urinating was extremely painful (as a woman) so I found myself catching urine in a container so as to reduce the chance of irritating the blisters/sores - hopefully someone will find this useful.

I have pulled through and am amazed at how much I was taking for granted simple things such as being able to walk around, sit on hard chairs and urinate without pain. Keeping a positive mental attitude is important too, I was constantly telling myself through the pain that this was my body, and I have control over it - I would not be kept down by these symptoms.

4 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am currently part way through a primary occurance of genital herpes (8 days in!!). I can agree with the comments above...I too have found this to be the most painful and miserable experience of my life! I cannot sit, lay down or stand without being in a lot of pain, subsequently I have probably had about 8 hours sleep in the past week - I am exhausted. I finding going for a pee absolutely unbearable ( will try the tip in the previous post next time I need to go- thanks!!) and am very tearful and irritable. It has also made me realise that everything I normally do (sit down, stand up, lay down, walk, etc) I definately take for granted and once I have recovered from this I will make the most of being able to move around pain free!

Currently, I find the only time I am in the slight bit comfortable is when I am totally absorbed in doing something - taking my mind off it! One of the reasons I am writing this....but then obviously to let others know of my experience incase any of it may be of help! I have found crosswords and similar puzzles good for taking my mind off it, watching TV, reading a book or magazine isnt quite enough to completely distract my attention from the pain!

I am still trying to ascertain when I caught the virus as I am in a long-term faithful relationship with my boyfriend who does not appear to have ever had any symptoms of genital herpes (or even a cold sore!!). Although apparently he can take a blood test to find out whether he carries the virus!? Im still trying to understand whether I may have been infected during a previous relationship (years ago) and have only just had a primary occurance!?

I began on Sunday evening feeling generally a bit crap and the glands in my groin were quite tender. By Monday the glands in my groin were very tender and my genitals were sore. I managed to go to work but as soon as I got home I put on my PJ's and curled up on the sofa, during that evening I began to ache (flu like aching) and developed a fever. On Tuesday morning I woke upto the whole of my genital area being covered in very sore bumps. People talk about \"blisters\", but at this stage they just appeared like bumps. I dragged myself to work but by midday I couldnt take it anymore- I was in so much pain! I phoned the doctors, as I was requesting to be seen by a female I couldnt get an appointment until the following day.

During my doctors visit on the Wednesday morning, the condition was mis-diagnosed as a localised infection. I was told that due to me being in a long-term faithful relationship it was highly unlikely I had got herpes - unless my boyfriend had been unfaithful recently - this went on to cause a huge argument that evening . I was told the infection was probably due to breaking the skin during shaving or something and I was prescribed a course of antibiotics. 36 hours after starting the antibiotics (it is Thursday afternoon by this point) I had seen no improvement, I was still in a great deal of pain and if anything it was getting worse. After a battle with the receptionist at my doctors surgery I managed to get an emergency appointment with a different doctor who immediatly diagnosed me with genital herpes. I was prescribed an anti-viral drug (Valaciclovir) for 7 days, painkillers (codeine) and told to sit in salt baths (which I have found very soothing!!). Due to me starting the anti-viral drugs 4 days after I developed symptoms, they appear to be taking sometime to work. Although I have seen a slight improvement I am by no means fixed yet.

My advise to anyone is that if you have ANY slight suspicions you maybe experiencing a gential herpes occurance, seek medical attention straight away!! If you feel you may have been misdiagnosed, insist on a second opinion or being swabbed. You must stand your ground, do not be afraid to challenge your doctor- they do make mistakes like the rest of us!!

• Posted

I am waiting for my results to come back in but today my doctor told me I possibly have genital herpes. I also have no idea how I got it. I spent a whole week with my boyfriend, we were oral on eachother & nothing ever came up . If we both went down on eachother wouldn't one of us gotten a sore on our mouths first ? I still don't believe that I have herpes. I arrived saturday afternoon to my home, and I got the sores Sunday night when I was already with my family. I am just 18 years old, I don't have many sexual partners & I have been with my boyfriend for two years. This is the most pain I have ever been in, I am so scared to pee that I don't even drink water or eat anything.
    • Posted

Hiya. When you say you had a salt bath how did u make them? Just with warm water and table salt?? X
    • Posted

I use epsom salt. And I fill the water up to my hips with 2 cups of salt. Any lower than that and it burns instead if soothes.
    • Posted

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I have type 1 genitally and was in so much excruciating pain the only thing that I knew would be helpful was to GET A CATHETER inserted into my urethra. Thank God I am a nursing student and thought of doing this because if I had not done this I would have been in so much agony. I had two sores very close in between my labia minor. Everytime i pee it would burn SO BAD I cried everytime and just was thinking death would be so much better than this. After two days all of my sores crusted and healed completely by the 4th day. I learned in order to heal the sores leave them open and dry to the air . I kept putting on so much zinc cream which did nothing for me which I believed only prolonged the healing time. I also took Valtrex for 10 days but not sure how effective that was. Having the catheter was the BEST relief of my life. I was able to eat whatever i wanted without having to think of It affecting the acidity of my urine, eat as much as i wanted, drink as much as i wanted etc You gotta eat well inorder to heal as ur body needs the protein to repair the damage tissue. I felt so much better, I also took my multivitamins so that this can heal my skin and zinc everyday. I noticed it was difficult to heal the sores if everytime i pee, the urine would irritate the sores. The docotor in the ER did not want to give me a catheter due to the risk of infection, however I was not going to leave the hospital without getting one, I was a healthy 24 yr old woman despite this disease so I believe I would be okay and i was (only had the catherter in for 3 days and i decided to have it removed when i believed my sores healed. I tested this by applying a few drops of urine to my vagina where my sores were and there was no pain). The catheter wasn't comfortable but let me just say it was SO much better than peeing on my sores. This recently happen to be a month ago and was my very first and hoping my last outbreak of my life. I've been praying to God for a divine miracle because I KNOW ONLY HIM can cure me from this disease. I put my FAITH AND TRUST in GOD ONLY. I dont wish this on anyone! The pain was extremely unbearable and i hope someday that this diease is eradicated. God bless you all! And I hope that my experience with recovery will help someone. Plz get a catheter if you can not hear the pain. It is your right to have one!

I also tired other methods thst my doctor was reccomending such as peeing in a tub of water, lathering my vagina with Vaseline and pouring water on my vagina while urinating. None of this helped at all. The catheter was truly a huge relief and big Help! Thank God for this invention.

• Posted

dear guest

i am having the same condition that u r, i too believe that i caught it upon oral sex the previous sunday when my partner had a cold sore. my episode started on thurday when i woke up with blisters, by friday the pain was terrible, i had sore lumps in my groin, i went to A&E where i saw a gynacologist, she said i had to wait till monday to attend the sexual health clinic, she took urine sample, and swaps from the blisters and vagina and gave me dicolfan or something which is a painkiller that didnt work for me, the pain i cudnt move or walk, the headache, the fever, my vulva at that stage was beginnign to swell. on sunday i cudnt close my legs i had to walk to awkwardly to the car to get to the A&E again i saw another gynacologist who gave me antibiotics which did not help much. anyway went to the sexual health clinic, the consultant diagnosed it as possible genital herpes and gave me the same medicine she gave 'guest' i've only started yesterday and already i feel better. she saidi should use salt warm baths which are most soothing and the inflamation is considerably better. the pain still there and the awkward walk, let alone the disgusting look of my vulva with the inflamed skin and yellow secretions. as for painful urine i had to use a warm bath once and then take a good shower, or also try doing so while pouring warm water on ur vulva using a small jug.

i am still in pain, but hang in there ladies it will go in time and good care.

• Posted

i have just come back from my amazing holiday from the dominican republic. out there i met the most amazing man ever and we desided not to have sex to show respect for each other .however this did not stop his friend takeing full advantage in the hotel tolets after i stagerd in drunk.i did not tell any one not the new man in my life my best friend or my mum i simply stumbled outside wiped away my tear and drank even more i woke up the next morning gutted and felt abused

but enoying the rest of my holiday falling more mad about the kind honest man i met not even mentioning the fact his mate unkown to me yet caused the most horable pain i have ever experianced in my life i feel dirty in pain and worthless the thaught of having any kind of sex agen scares me half to death i cnt sit down or get the tablets that are supost to help down my neck fast enough 5 tablests a day within 4 hr intervles i have never wish 4 hrs away so in my life dose it ever stop?

• Posted

I feel ur pain, I'm going throught a breakout and it's hell to pee, I feel like I'm being mutilated everytime but there is an end, I use the slime from an aloe plant ( cut the leaf and squeeze the slime directly on it). Also try aloe Vera gel or vaseline or a topical ointment like lidocaine. I dont know if topical ointments work cuz i dont have access to it in my country but online research tells me what other pple use n what gives them relief. you have to be strong an believe that it will heal an the pain will end. I know it's hard but there is relief.

• Posted

I've just been diagnosed with herpes too and I've been married 2 years and with him for nearly 4 years. I had the same experience when telling my husband about it- he was furious that I asked him if he'd been faithful cos I know I have! Then when researching this I could have had it for years and only just got an episode. I went to my docs with the most awful pain and couldn't deal with it- was crying 24/7 and couldn't stand, sit or lay down. No sleep didn't help. Doc done swabs and then told me I had herpes- blimey- i nearly died. It's a terrible stigma but having been to my local GU clinic my mind has been put at rest a bit. It's a virus in everyone and some are unlucky to catch it. Some people have it for years before they even realise and how do you tell who infected you??? I'm 43 now so it could be 1 of a few! lol

However, the clinic staff were absolutely brilliant. They took more swabs and a blood test............ also tried to give me an internal which hurt so much she actually stopped and didnt pressure me into anything cos of the pain. I'm going back Monday, so maybe they'll try again OUCH

The telling that you've got this infection is a shock to the system but I urge anyone not to research it too much with others experience and stigmas, but to talk to a professional-at a GU clinic where they can explain things to you. I accused my husband of all sorts but as the professional told me you can have it for years and then get an episode due to stress (which I've had alot of recently).

I know it's with you for life but it wont kill you and that's something to be grateful for in a way.

I've been able to explin it to my husband and we seem ok again. The professional also gave me a leaflet for him to read which also put his mind at rest.

Take care all and don't worry too much about it

xxx

• Posted

Sorry to all those suffering...

I caught herpes about 10 years ago and it was so painful the first few times ....I had 4-5 outbreaks that 1st yr and felt dirty and horrible and low esp when I found out there was no cure sad

However I now rarely get an outbreak,maybe once every few years and although its uncomfortable for a few days its so much easier to live with....infact I never think about it and have 2 healthy children so please don't worry all those suffering it does get less and less frequent :wink:

• Posted

You can actually have children? Omg thank the Lord.
    • Posted

Yes you can just tell your midwives they will take extra precautions close to delivery time
  • Posted

I cannot empathise enough with those of you going through an initial episode of sores, it is highly painful and I found that peeing in the bath was the only way I could manage a trip to the loo along with a regular intake of paracetamol.

I contracted Herpes about 5 years ago and like so many other women, it arose from oral sex with a boyfriend who had never had a coldsore in his life. He was as shocked as I was and tested positive for Herpes. On further reading I discovered that a huge majority of the poulation have some type of Herpes by the time they reach older/adult ages. Although I know that probably doesn't console people experiencing it right now, it is useful to bear in mind that this is not a life threatening virus - a total pain for sure, but with time I have experienced less and less frequent episodes and NONE have been as horrendous as the first.

Talk to people you trust about this - you may find that a lot more people have some form of Herpes than you think. People get coldsores around their mouths the whole time - this is no different, it just happens that we get them in a really inconvenient place.

• Posted

I got it 19 months ago from a new boyfriend who neglected to tell me he had it. I was furious because I'd always been so careful. We aren't together anymore but I know he's not informed any of his sexual partners since me either. Anyway, I had my primary outbreak 8 days after we had unprotected sex for the first time. I remember I felt miserable and in so much pain. I immediately saw a physician after I started seeing bumps start forming. Since then, I've been taking daily valcyclovir which has significantly reduced the outbreaks and how long they last. I've had 5 outbreaks but they were almost completely painless and lasted 2-4 days from beginning to end. I also take daily supplements of L-lysine. I take 1000 a day and bump up to 3000 during an outbreak. I also take a vitamin B complex daily for immune system support. During active outbreaks I use tea tree oil 4 times a day or so on the sores. It makes them stop itching and burning and I'll take Advil or Tylenol. The times I have had an outbreak were always during times of great stress for me and not getting enough sleep and slacking off on taking my meds. I'm learning my triggers and how to effectively reduce stress. I've dated 2 people since contracting herpes and told them both prior to any physical relationship that I had it and urged them to research it and ask me as many questions as they needed to before deciding to get into a physical and romantic relationship with me. Both weighed the pros and cons and dated me anyway. It's doesn't have to be a life sentence of guilt, shame, remorse and lonliness. I decided that I wasn't going to let it control my life and I became determined to keep living. I lead a very active and happy life and most days I rarely even think about the fact I have it. I just need to remind myself to not get physically run down, get plenty of sleep and eat a well balanced diet. Please don't let it get you down and depressed. It's just a mildly annoying skin infection. That's it.

• Posted

today i jst discovered i have herpes after being in sheer agony for 5 days, everything written above i can relate to, the pain is horriffic never felt anything like it in my life, i have jst started seein a new partner, who am gonna have to explain to wht i gt, after rackin my brains an readin a lot about this, he did say he was jst recoverin from a cold sore, so tht could prob explain why i have gt this, but tellin him will be diff story as i will prob get the blame an he will prob call me all the dirty slappers under the sun an tht will be end o tht, i will jst have to hope he the understandin kind o guy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.