We know way too much for anyone to be suffering

Posted , 4 users are following.

Here is a recent posting from Johns Hopkins Medical University.  If you are really suffering you will really read the whole article which is about one page.  Then let your imagination go as well as your googling.  Whatever you find that helps your RLS or might help google that item and "dopamine release" or "dopamine receptors."  The bottom line is we all have lousy dopamine receptors most likely due to our brains inability to get and retain enough iron, even though our bodies' stores of iron may be normal or high.  You gotta get that iron across the blood brain barrier.  And whatever you take probably has to have the ability to cross the blood brain barrier be it potassium or magnesium or calcium.  Just as important is what you should not be taking such as antihistamines, antidepressants, antacids, statins, melatonin and sugar substitutes to name just a few.  The best treatment may be simple calorie restriction and going to be hungry.  Even if it doesn't give complete relief you may be able to undereat and then take a small amount of medication, or iron or potassium to get you the rest of the way to sleep. 

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/centers_clinics/restless-legs-syndrome/what-is-rls/causes.html

1 like, 116 replies

116 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for that.  That article confirms what I said a couple of weeks ago, low level iron exacerbate RLS. symptoms I get.
  • Posted

I have replaced the pasted article in the initial post with a link to the article. Please do not paste whole articles in your posts as it may cause issues with copyright. Links will be approved as long as they are to reputable sites.

Regards,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.