We Need More Doctors Trained In Treating Menopause

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, everyone

Going through this difficult journey, it really opened my eyes to how little training most doctors get dealing with women issues. It scares me to think of all the women who are suffering in silence.

There are some doctors out there who major in this issue, but the numbers are not enough. We need way more, snd fast.

8 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Its so true most Gyno are men and they don't understand!!?? I went to my gyno few months ago to find out the doctor was a make when I specifically asked to see a female doctor. I end up seeing physician assistant which I'm glad because she totally understood me and told me everything I'm having is all related to perimenopause and to hang in there and she didn't suggest hormones unless it was that bad. But she said keep yourself busy busy so your mind is not occupied of everything that feels wrong with my body. And it really works. My first year was horrible and I couldn't even get up out of bed no energy and it's because our hormones are adjusting and the body needs to recognize the changes. I truly believe that. And yes my doctor originally said its depression and just sent me off with meds but I never took them and knew it was more than that!! So I'm gettin better as it is going on my 3rd year with this and I'll be 44yo soon! Do your research too that helps!

• Posted

Yes, i have been researching so much on the internet, that my eyes are getting tired

I try to read as many articles about alternative treatments, supplements and nutrition that I can. Some of them has actually been helping some of symptoms.

• Posted

Pinterest? I didn't realise. I will certainly check it out right away. Thank you

• Posted

Yes lots of home remedies and great info! I love Pinterest !! 👍🏼

• Posted

Don't laugh. I have heard of Pinterest, but I never used it. I think i need to learn how.

• Posted

I have to stop googling diseases. I'm dead in my mind. I have to try and keep it together for Cassie's wedding. Tough. At the moment I don't care about her wedding

• Posted

Aint that the truth. Most have no clue, and look at you as if you are just plain crazy. I am looking for a book or something that tells me EXACTLY what to expect from the largest to the smallest thing. Becuase our bodies go haywire. 

• Posted

Hi

Please let me know what you find out! !!

Thanks

• Posted

Yep....that's why I never tell mine anything anymore. I treat it on my own with vitamins, supplements, and taking some of you ladies advice. Works for me.

• Posted

Yes we need a class action to make these doctors become aware of all the stress they cause us by ordering test after test without even mentioning menopause. My journey started in 2007 I was completely taken over by my menopause symptoms. I did not know what was wrong with me. I had a barrage of tests which just made me worse. I was convinced I was dying. The nausea was so bad I could not function for six months. I ended up in hospital twice and still no mention of menopause. Whilst waiting to be picked up by my husband who I might mention said all along it was menopause playing havoc with my body, a nurse started chatting to me. She told me it was hormonal and to take valium for two weeks to settle me down. I hated the idea of this but followed her advise and seriously the nausea settled down and now nine years later I still get hot flashes stomach issues twitches in my legs sleepless nights panic attacks but I know what it is now and try to manage as best I can. It is a real disgrace that as women we give so much raising children etc only to be ignored when it is our time to be supported.

Jane

• Posted

Omg. You sound like me. The twitches. I felt so alone until now
    • Posted

I agree. Lawsuits should be in order. She thought I was just having bad anxiety, and wanted to put me on Xanax. Tried it, and it made me worse.

I'm so much better than I was a year ago though, but still have many of the symptoms, but seem to have a better handle on them now.

This is the one time in my life I hate being a woman, and would rather be a man.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I still have terrible nausea at the start of my cycle.i am sure it is peri , but nausea seems to be an uncommon symptom . Doctors are not always convinced . Took a year before they accepted the possibility . 

The nausea is debilitating . Does it go ? Has yours gone ? Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.