We recently put down my german shepherd dog (roughly 2 weeks from now) and I can't cope with it..

Posted , 7 users are following.

My dog is  German Shepherd as you read in title. He was my companion, my best friend. And the greatest dog you could ever ask for, we did everything together. Now when we go to my grandparents house to swim, he's not there running around the pool, and he doesn't come running to us when we arrive. I've stopped going to school for awhile, I've even stopped going to their house, I can't get over it.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi griffinD.

Bless u. I had to msg u as it touched me how much pain yr in. I too suffered wen i lost my companion floyd 6years ago. He wasnt a pet to me, he was part of the family, a friend and an amazing source of happiness in an otherwise depressing world at times.

I understand u must feel so sad i did and ppl find it hard to see how down it can make u.

I dont want to do the usual that time will heal. But it does...... u will remember the joyous times and look back on ur companion with great fondness not heartache in time. It will become easier, but for right now stay busy, try get a painting done as a lasting memory fitting for a best friend!!! He would want u to be happy. Keep going push yourself each day. Its not easy honestly but do it for him. Xx

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with the loss of your friend. The passing of animals who are our friends and family is devastating. You are grieving. Please allow yourself time to come to terms with losing someone that was so precious to you. The pain will lessen in time I promise you. You will move forward with your life again. For now be kind to yourself. Look after your health and wellbeing and try to focus on all the happy memories you have. You beloved dog may no longer be here physically but they will always be in your heart. Best wishes.

• Posted

cheesygrin Thank you so much, all of this information from everyone here helps.
  • Posted

Hello GriffinD

Im with you in this as my dog got run over 4 weeks ago and died in my arms on way to vet she was nearly 10yr old Bella she was half Pomeranian and half Chihuahua she was my best chum too its awful hard to come to terms with it as they are part of the family people who dont have dogs or pets wont understand our pain. We used to have German Shepherds i love that breed so we are on the same plain and know how each feels. Cant get Bella out of my head everyday im sure your the same. What age was your lovely dog?

• Posted

I'm in the same position, getting over the loss of a pet is a lot harder than people think, I blame myself for not recognising his symptoms earlier and I can't forgive myself for thet.

• Posted

I'm 63 and have had numerous dogs in my lifetime. Half a dozen of them were really close buds and it never gets easier when you have to make the ultimate decision for them. But you owe your pet that responsibility, it goes with ownership.

I had to put to sleep a 19 year old beagle once, he was my best bud for a decade. I wept all the way to the vet and back again. I know I did the right thing, didn't make it any easier. I feel your pain.

• Posted

Ah Phil

You and i both know the heartache and also the joy they give us in their lifetime. I had a black Pomeranian Elle and kept a pup of hers a gorgeous tan called him Dougal Elle lived to 14yrs 4mths and Dougal to 17yrs 4mths broken heart i had then too. Took me 17mths to even face having another one that was Bella. We still have an American bull dog cross Brian from a rescue pound have him over 5yrs he was 2yrs when we took him. Hes a big gentle giant so placid so great with Bella and Dougal when i had them. Brilliant with puppy Nina now hubby got me her to help ease my pain for Bella she does help but it still hurts everyday. We'll pull together for our dogs sake and enjoy whats left in life for us Phil. I'm 65 myself so also had many lovely pets in my years. Have a cat 12yrs and a ferret whos 10 now also a Cockiteil 12. Many great friends with unconditional love.

• Posted

Hi I am so sorry as losing a beloved pet is awful.  I used to take my sisters black lab/collie cross out every day for 7 years and she was a wonderful dog.  She was affectionate,  playful,  ball obsessed,  and was my reason to get up and out every day.  She was also the first dog I had known so well as I have always had cats before.  I worshipped the ground she walked on and vice versa.

Just over a year ago now she suddenly dropped dead at the age of 7.  No warning and she hadn't been ill or anything.  My sister and I were inconsolable and in complete shock.  It does get better in time but I felt horrible for a long time afterwards.  It will get better for you too and you will be able in time to think of the good times and the bad will fade away.  She will always be in your heart and I do believe when it's our turn to pass we will be reunited with our beloved animals.  Look up the piece of writing called Rainbow Bridge as it is very comforting.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.