Weak arms-really worried.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I was diagnosed with GAD officially last week and have been off work and on citalopram for the past month. I do feel much less anxious now as I think the pills are working but I did have a dreadful headache which I was petrified was something awful that lasted for about 3 weeksThat has been pretty much reminded by a chiropractor. I have also been referred to a cranio Maxi surgeon as I was diagnosed with a jaw problem ( made worse by teeth clenching and grinding at times of stress) which could be causing the headaches. 

Now I have another problem which is preoccupying my mind and I can't shake. I have weakness in both my left and right arms and fingers, and also my left shoulder. I am terrified again it is something awful. My chiropractor said my muscle strength was absolutely normal and it is perceived. My GP has said it is anxiety related but did no further testing. Please can anyone confirm they have had these symptoms and it was all anxiety related for them. Thank you for reading x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I can say it's been a symptom for me when I'm in an anxious state, my arms feel heavy and moving around can feel sluggish.

your strength will be normal it's just a feeling of rather than a physical thing.

it isn't anything awful. N

• Posted

Yes! Get it all the time, have done for 18 months now! Back and forth to doctors convinced we are ignoring the signs of stroke! Until i had CBT and my therapist said to me... Why do you worry about this? Because i think its a sign of a stroke i said.... So, have you had a stroke in the last 18 months then? she asks. Er, no! Then its not a sign your having a stroke she says or you would have had one by now.... I haven't worried about that particular thought since... It made sense to me
    • Posted

Hi.  I've been worrying about ms or mnd. I have just started cbt and she showed me ways of focusing on other things but it still happens when I'm picking up a plate or lifting my arms up. Is this normal for us sufferers? 
    • Posted

Yes, it is! When i'm hanging my washing out i have to stop several times and put my arms down as i feel like i just dont have the strength to lift them...it is normal for us
    • Posted

Could you share somethings that you was taught in CBT? I haven't made it yet been fighting a bad cold. Ty ❌❌
    • Posted

Surev i have only been 3 weeks so not much learned yet, but the main thing on first week was explaining to me about the fight or flight responses in our bodies that cause us to panic... Now that i understand the reason behind the way my body reactes to a percieved threat, it is not so scary!  The othe thing i oernt is that i will never be the old me i want to be again as the old me hadn't had all these experiences i have had recently and i have to focus on becomming a new and improved me! I learnt that napping in the day is not helpful to me and i have learned that leaving the television on all night because it is company for me is not good either as my brain wont switch off properly with the stimulation all night long😟
    • Posted

Thanks tracie .. I'm down to only taking ativan now. The Prozac was awful for me. I gotta wait on therapy due to having a kidney stone zapped Nov 1. Praying this goes good.. I did download a CBT app on my phone and its great. I do meditation once or twice a day and it helps.. We will be normal just takes time and faith.. Give it to god. I do every night.. Hugs to you ❌❌❌
    • Posted

We all get there in the end... Just takes time, patience and determination xx
  • Posted

sounds like the meds-i get that as well,also Pins and needles

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.