Weak joints

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi to everyone on here. My question is i am 49 and have been suffering with gout now for 4 years. It started in my left big toe, then the ankle, then the knee and now has started on the right side upwards. Does anyone else out there who has had an attack left with weaker joints as i find i cannot walk the same way i used to, it almost feels like i have jelly legs which takes a considerable time after the attack of gout to go away.   

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Firstly you are sure that it is gout? (It probably is, judging by your age and gender and the fact that it started in your big toe - all smoking guns). What is your Utica acid reading when you aren't having an attack?

Gout (or my correctly hyperurivemis) will do damage to your joints tendons, arteries, veins, kidneys and heart.

What treatment are you getting?

Do you have any other illnesses / medications?

Are you over weight?

Do you drink alcohol or carbonated drinks?

Sorry for all the questions.

• Posted

Hi yes it is gout I've had the blood tests and yes I am slightly overweight and I take adenuric 80mg and colchicine 500 micrograms when I have an flare up. Even when I do not drink alcohol I still get flare ups. Doctor just looks at me with glazed eyes when I tell him about joints. I also take tramadol 50mg and ranitidine 300mg. I do rattle when I walk lol.

• Posted

Would I be correct in thinking you are not in the UK?

Is your doctor giving you regular blood tests to see the level of uric acid?

Define "slightly overweight." Is that a polite way of saying "I'm a bit of a porky" or are you carry 3 kg over a BMI of 22?

• Posted

Hi. Yeah I'm in UK, having regular blood tests. Used to take allurpurinol but give me really bad joint pain all over. I am overweight but only on the tummy area, I've always kept fit and still quite toned considering the ailments I got. Another thing is doc said it's hereditary, my brother and dad have it to. We are the acid family producing too much stomach acid and uric acid. I think we could supply acid for car batteries lol.

• Posted

I'm 6FT 15 STONE AND 48 CHEST DUE TO WEIGHT TRAINING ALL MY LIFE.

• Posted

OK

BMI doesn't work on someone like you. Therefore waist measurement- not trousers size. Is you waist larger than 36 inches st it's widest point? If it is, it shouldn't be.

• Posted

Most gout is heridirary. I thought you were outside of uk cos allopurinol is drug of first choice.

It's good that they are doing the blood tests, but are they adjusting the drug to match? You should be trying to get blood urate down to under 4, ideally well under, till you have had no attacks for a year.

• Posted

Only just started on the adenuric about a month now, just waiting for results now. Had a flare up before I started adenuric and after 4 weeks on this drug having another flare up. Had no alcohol, steamed all my food, no oils or fat in diet and still get a flare up. My waste is 36.
    • Posted

One thing to remember is that uric acid reducing therapy will trigger gout for the first few months as stores of monosodium urate is flushed out. The lower the blood urate the quicker this process.
  • Posted

I get "jelly legs" permanently these days but not really down to gout. My foot joints are all very worn and it feels like my feet don't stay where I put them. Bit like a mechanical ball bearing race with a couple missing. Uneven surfaces are a problem and all the old ladies around here think I'm permanently drunk - sometimes I don't disillusion them, heheh. Only one cure for it and it starts with a capital D?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.