Weak neck/heavy head, dizzy/woozy feeling - any thoughts?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I seem to be hopping across forums with greater regularity lately.

I have had a bit of a rough year, being diagnosed with afib In Feb, lost my dad a few weeks later and I've now been baxk at work a couple of months.

Anyway, Iver the years I've suffered with aches and pains in the back of my neck and head which have sometimes spread like a strip up the back of my neck to my forehead. I had one of these on Monday and they can make me feel a bit woozy, almost nauseous, as neck issues can. I took painkillers, supported my neck on a cushion and eventually it passed.

On to Tuesday and on leaving work I noticed my neck felt a little weak and my head a bit "full" or woozy. The feeling stuck about and eventually I came close to giving myself an anxiety attack.

This morning, I woke to that feeling of wooziness or dizziness, with slightly blurred vision around the edges and, neck feels like my head is a bit too heavy and I am struggling to fully concentrate. I also feel as if I have a slight pressure in my ears. I'm associating it with either stress, posture or my usual neck ache type problems.

Any thoughts on this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi davrots,

So sorry for the loss of your dad and your recent Diagnosis.

I was interested to read your symptoms which were very similar to mine before I saw my GP several months ago. I had an x ray on my neck and spine, was seen by a rhuematologist and was told I had early osteoarthritis. I didn't dream of anything like that. I receive physiotherapy and still get all of the symptoms you've mentioned. Because I am stooped over a computer all day my physiotherapist said it was very likely to be caused by poor posture. Lately i've been feeling tired and dizzy, My GP prescribed prochlorpetazine for my dizziness. I get good and bad days. AF can cause weakness and dizziness also. I'm not suggesting that you have OA but it might be worth at least checking it out.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Lina3,

Thanks for your response.

That's an interesting take, it's not something that had even dawned on me. Have/had you suffered with it for a while?

I have an appointment with my Dr next week for something unrelated but I may mention this then if it hasn't moved on by then as it's really disruptive and, with my afib, it's hard to pinpoint where the problem stems from really.

• Posted

Hi,

About a year ago I started having an ache in my neck, hurt when I turned head to the right, shoulder ache, upper back ache, heavy head feeling, ear pressure, generally felt unwell. After holding my head in the same position for any length of time I would feel a little light headed when moving. . I thought I had pulled a muscle from walking the dog, pulling on his leash. I was getting most of the symptoms you have. Just took painkillers for weeks until I went to GP. A pulled muscle was one diagnosis, later a pinched nerve was another. Eventually went back again and I was sent for xray of neck and spine, GP said spondylitis and I was referred to a rhuematologist. I was told it was very early OA, to take paracetamol and was referred to a physiotherapist. I have been doing neck strengthening exercises because my neck muscles are weak, back muscles tense. The last few weeks getting more headaches than usual and dizziness. Saw my GP today and he prescribed me the med I mentioned and said it was all to do with arthritis. I also get tired at some point in the daytime and just want to lie down but I just close my eyes for about 10 mins and then carry on. I hope you haven't got OA but when I read your symptoms they struck a chord. Perhaps you have a pinched nerve or perhaps it's migraine related. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi davrots,

I hope you’ve found a solution by now and are doing much better. 

I wanted to write anyways because just about everything you described sounds like you might be dealing with a condition called derealization. It’s becomming more and more common amongst people who experience anxiety. The best way I can describe this is that, when you experience a traumatic event (e.g. your dad passing away -I’m so sorry for your loss by the way) your brain almost detached itself from reality as a defense mechanism because these traumatic situations are too much to handle. I’ve experienced this, particularly when I have a lot of stress and anxiety. It feels almost like you’re walking around in a dream - it’s hard to grasp reality and can (in my experience) give you that woozy feeling, as well as affect your vision (almost like a vignette filter has been put on 24/7.)  

As of right now, derealization isn’t very well known about and so there isn’t exactly a cure, but seeing as it’s caused by stress and anxiety, id suggest doing anything you can to relax. Maybe start doing yoga or meditation, anything to relax your mind and body would be of help.

I hope this helps you or someone else experiencing it. Get well soon!

• Posted

Hi davrots 81, vertigo wrecked my life for many years, I now experience it just very occasionally but nonetheless, it can still floor me literally. If you’ve had the usual round of guesswork diagnoses, maybe it’s time to ask if your head pain feels as though it’s inside or do you have pain in the skull itself ? If the bones are very painful, it sounds similar to mine which also travelled round to the front of my skull causing really violent headache pain.  I also suffered ear pressure, vision disturbance and anxiety attacks as a result. Initially diagnosed as spondilitis, in fact  I’d got a longstanding whiplash injury  which went unnoticed by a host of doctors and consultants for 9 years. I’d been in more than one minor car prang over the previous years but never had any ill effects so never sought medical attention. Instead, unbeknown to myself, a calcium build up was occurring around the damaged areas of my neck and head which finally resulted in severe life changing vertigo. After every diagnosis and treatment possible, and over such a long period of years, I embarked on a plan to return to see any doctor I could every two weeks to insist on trying the next test, or next expert. Woozy, dizzy, room spinning and continuous uncontrolled vomiting were the norm for me. Have you had neck x rays ? Has anyone checked for extra calcium growth on your neck ? Bones regenerate and try to self repair but the new growth can itself cause more problems, as was my main problem. I had to insist a neck x ray be done, my GP sent me in exasperation I think. I was under a consultant who told me about an extreme course of physiotherapy, where this extra bone could be removed through manipulation. Special neck pillows are helpful at night. And very gentle but regular exercises with low repetitions are enough as long as done regularly, and for life. Unfortunately arthritis is also a major cause of dizziness and vertigo, again it’s important to keep moving your neck but nothing sudden. 
    • Posted

Danny you describe me almost exactly. i started 3yrs ago & it’s gradually getting worse.

The times it affects me is if i walk for any length of time, am ok sat or laid down. For me it’s feels like when you have been on too many rollercoasters. feel like vomiting, light headed, dizzy, spinning.

Sadly drs won’t tske me seriously & neither does my girlfriend. but i swear it’s getting to point where i can’t take much more of it! i love life & am happy always but when this thing hits me it makes me feel so damn bad

• Posted

Have  you been tested for Postural orthostatic  tachycardia  syndrome? If not ...look it up. I have this and it sounds the same. Its so commonly misdiagnosed as its not often heard of  I was told for 15 years it was anxiety. I found it online and demanded a cardiology referal and testing and it wss positive  Only a tilt table test can diagnose tbis not even an ecg. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Nerve impingement caused by upper cervical subluxation (misalignment) and irritation of the nerve cord caused by "nerd neck" a straightening of the cervical lordosis (curvature) creates autonomic nervous system dysfunction and issues with the vagus nerve. The rhythms in your body are orchestrated by the rhythm of nerve impulses, when you dent in the instruments the orchestra gets out of key. Afib is a possible consequence of this spinal dysfunction, the same with premature ventricular contractions (heart palpitations). With nerves it's quantity of flow and quality of signal (is the signal sufficient and what is the signal? ). Some doctors will be quick to only attribute this to stress and anxiety without recognizing also the mechanical dysfunction. In your neck muscles there are also sensitive nerve complexes such as the SCM which control the sense of head position, when these are irritated it sends all kinds of errant signals to the brain causing vertigo and dizziness. For thing is eliminate inflammatory things... stress, inflammation causing foods, alcohol, smoking as much as practical. Get a standing desk, keep everything at eye level, get up and walk, don't look down at your phone for prolonged periods and start doing lordosis exercises with a towel (look it up). Vitamin B complex, potassium and magnesium will help nerve function and heart rhythm. Consult a naturopathic doctor for the correct levels. Meditation and yoga will strengthen the parasympathetic nervous system. If you want a quick change think modern allopathic medicine if you want it fixed think holistic and naturopathic.

• Posted

Hi Davrots81, appreciate this is an old post, but on my searching of my symptoms i found your post. Firstly i hope things have improved for you a year on and life is a little easier. In addition to what you mention i have pins and needles in my hands (like cold ice for blood) and back ache (with neck ache), its been going on since Dec 17 and had various tests yet no answers (stress / anxiety seems to be what most people think)......just wondering if you ever found an answer to your problem and if now cured etc - many thanks Bryan  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.