Weak Stream in the morning Stronger later in the day

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello everybody. when I wake up in the morning especially if I sleep through the night, my stream is incredibly weak. however, as I go about my day my flow increases to the point where at times I feel like it’s somewhat normal. with that said it is concerning in the mornings when you really have to go and it’s tough to get it out. similarly this seems to happen whenever I hold it in for extended periods of time. this seems like an anomaly to me and one would believe if they had a large prostate which pinches the stream in the morning it would do the same later in the day. Has anybody experience this? if so, were you able to get to the bottom of why this happens? thank you ahead of time for any guidance that you can give

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

I've had the same issue. Very unpredictable. I've asked 3 urologists about it, never got a straight answer.

• Edited

I have the same issue with weak stream if I hold it in too long. Gets kind of scary when traveling and you don't always have access to a rest room(like flying and there is turbulence). I asked my urologist about it and he acted like he had never heard of it before.I also can't really take the flow test because they ask you to do it when you are really full, then I can barely go.

• Posted

Ask your GP for a referral to an urologist to investigate.

He will most likely start with a urinary flow study which, if the result indicates a problem,

will prod the urologist look for the reasons behind the weak flow eg enlarged prostate, some obstruction etc,

You could move the process along by asking the GP - before seeing the urologist - to refer you to a CT Kidneys, Ureter and Bladder (KUB) and if need be, an Ultra Sound KUB.

Best of luck.

• Posted

I have the same experience. I'm wondering if it's because first thing in the morning there is usually a slight erection and this may reduce the flow. It does improve as the day goes on, but not as it was when younger. Dr says the rt for Intermediate Favourable prostate cancer three years ago might have changed things, or simply old age. 76 now. Psa is down to .99 now.

• Posted

hello everybody and happy new year. Quick follow up, went to my doctor for a yearly physical yesterday. Told him about the weak stream in the morning and he said it’s probably more about the bladder than it is the prostate. he followed with a digital exam where he said my prostate feels "tiny," which I guess is good news although strange that I have symptoms of BPH with a tiny prostate. I asked if I should do a PSA and he said at your age (38) and no famili history, no.

I did feel better leaving the office although still concerned about some of my symptoms which include weak stream, waking up at night to pee and some frequency issues at times. Quick question for you are is it possible that the bladder can cause tightness which creates BPH like symptoms?

• Edited

@brian07009

I am the same age with similar symptoms. I have been suffering from "prostatitis" CPPS type symptoms for 5 years now. Prostate is normal size by MRI and ultrasound. PSA normal.

It is possible it is a bladder muscle issue related to the pelvic floor, but I have not had much luck fixing it despite stretching. I have a bulge around my bladder, but my bladder is normal on ultrasound and MRI.

Not sure if it's a gut issue or muscular pelvic floor issue causing the bulge and urinary problems.

I also have a left sided Varicocele - do you have one as well?

• Posted

i similarly get random intermittent discomfort in my left testicle which may be a varicocele. never thought much about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.