Weakened immune system

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis at 26, back in 1996 and it's been 22 years of worrying about dying. However, I went back to school and got my bachelor's degree and now I've been accepted into nursing school.

Life DOES go on after a diagnosis. smile

My concern is that a have a low white blood count (2.6) that my Dr attributes to thrombocytopenia/portal hypertension.

I mentioned to him that I wanted to go to school and he said it shouldn't br a problem but I've been reading medical journals where they say your immune response is weaked by cirrhosis.

Is anyone here working in the medical field with cirrhosis? Has anyone had immune system issues because of cirrhosis? Please let me know. I have a week to make up my mind about school. I would hate to throw 22 years of life away because I wanted to go to nursing school.

Thank you and be well.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to ask u, just curious was it a full blown cirrhosis when u were diagnosed ?. U are an inspiration.
    • Posted

Hi,

I had acute hepatitis from a combination of alcohol and tylenol. I had liver and kidney failure. Encephalopathy. A HUGE belly that was tapped for a few months. I am 5'6" and I went down to 75lbs. I was in a coma for 10 days. They called the priest in to give me my last rights, ... and I lived. And I have lived a good life aside from the anxiety and the post traumatic stress from getting sick in the first place.

This is NOT a death sentence. 22+ years and counting and looking forward to living a long life.

I don't take much medicine, and never, ever drink. I eat really bad (but I'm a vegetarian who doesn't really like vegetables).

My labs are pretty normal except I have low platelets (about 40k) and a WBC at 2.6.

Thank you, I hope I do inspire someone. Getting sick has been a curse as well as a blessing. You look at life a little different now. You are definitely today and that's all anyone has. ?

• Posted

That is great.. did u change ur lifestyle in terms of diet or any exercise or anything like that..
    • Posted

Not really. Ate eaters healthy the first year. NO SALT. But now I eat whatever. And I don't exercize. I definitely try not to strain myself. I heard. It increased the pressure which may cause varicies.

• Posted

Oops ....

I meant to say you definitely have today to live. That's all anyone has. There's no guarantee for the future, for anyone.

And when I was diagnosed, my liver was enflamed and swollen. Once I stopped the tylenol and alcohol, it eventually got scarred and shrank. I think that's the definition of cirrhosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.