Weakness

Posted , 9 users are following.

My son was diagnosed with Graves a couple months ago. He is 34 yr. old. He has ALL the classic symptoms of graves. Endocrinologist has put him on methimazole. We haven't really heard much about the weakness and numbness, mostly in his arms and legs. At times he is so weak he can hardly walk up stairs. He is having such difficulty with fine motor skills, like unable to fully close his hands or grasp items such as a pencil or pick things up after what has become an issue with him constantly dropping things. I am concerned that the disease is worse then what the doctor has said was "caught early and mild". I can't image what severe would be with the condition he is in. I'm also wondering if there are more issues going on our if this is all part of having Graves disease? I have read and researched till I can't even see any more. Any help is much appreciated!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed with Graves in November. I was experiencing weakness and couldn't grasp a glass without my hands trembling. I couldn't walk 10 feet without shortness of breath. I was put on Methimazole 15 mg daily. January almost all my labs were within normal. They decreased my medication to 10mg a day. finally no more hand weakness. But not alot of strength. I would suggest he talk to his Endocrine.

• Posted

Hi

Unfortunately I have had many CT and MRI scans after a cancer diagnosis and it was only after I asked for my notes that I read that it had been initially suggested that the contrast may have caused my thyroid problems. I have had Graves for more than two years now, am on 40 mg of carbimazole daily as well as 5 mcg of levothyroxine (block and replace regime) and have TED with double vision. It didn't help that the first test results were not passed on so it was a further three months before the problem was picked up. It seems that the medication or whatever for one problem may well go on to cause further problems! Anyway I'm awaiting a thyroidectomy because radioactive iodine apparently will make my double vision worse.

• Posted

Hi Kay,

I have Graves disease and have all the symptoms your son suffers - constantly dropping things, pain in my joints and muscles, cramps and difficulty in walking. It is debilitating so I know just how your son feels. When I originally explained this to the endocrinologist he suggested I should visit my GP who sent me for a whole raft of tests, all of which proved negative. Now it would appear its all down to Graves, TED and the effects of the medication.

• Posted

hi all,

I was diagnosed with Graves’ disease almost a year ago… Caught early as well, I am 55 years old and relatively good health otherwise. My endocrinologist immediately asked if I was exposed to any iodine from the surgery I had a month before and I believe I did have a CAT scan that used iodine contrast… Immediately put me on 30 mg of METHOMAZOLE A DAY Then gradually decreased to to 10 mg then 5 Then 2.5 and I have been off it now for 10 days and cannot believe how much better I am… No lower back pain… Energy level and weakness improved… I do believe a lot of the symptoms are from this medicine and not the Graves’ disease hi

• Posted

Hi. I was diagnosed with graves in the autumn of 2017. I went to the gp originally because I could barely get out of bed. I couldn't climb the stairs in our house. I was exhausted all the time and my legs ached. All of my muscles were wasted due i guess to thyrotoxic myopathy. I was also having trouble with incontinence because my bladder muscles were so weak. All these months later and treatment with carbimazole and the wasting has stopped but i need to rebuild muscle to be where i was before.

• Posted

Hi Kay, I have Graves disease. When I was first diagnosed I would walk up the stairs on all fours. And regarding fine motor skills, I could hardly write anymore.

The good news is my muscles recovered after my thyroid hormone levels normalised. Muscle pain and weakness is rather common with hyperthyroidism. For more information you can look up thyrotoxic myopathy.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 2007. I have learned a lot about it since then. I think my disease came about because of stress in the workplace. Though it was caught early and my labs weren't too much out of range, I still suffered the same side effects of having this disease as others. I also found out that most hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids when they have run hyper and these need to be tested and replaced. Especially important are vitamin D and Magnesium for good thyroid function. That's not something that the doctors consider or address. I have done well, now off meds though recently had a stressful situation that made my TSH drop from 1.5 down to 0,76 but it is now back up to 1.5. I will write you privately as we are not allowed to post links on the Board.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Graves disease in 2007. I have learned a lot about it since then. I think my disease came about because of stress in the workplace. Though it was caught early and my labs weren't too much out of range, I still suffered the same side effects of having this disease as others. I also found out that most hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids when they have run hyper and these need to be tested and replaced. Especially important are vitamin D and Magnesium for good thyroid function. That's not something that the doctors consider or address. I have done well, now off meds though recently had a stressful situation that made my TSH drop from 1.5 down to 0,76 but it is now back up to 1.5. I will write you privately as we are not allowed to post links on the Board.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.