Weakness in legs

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have just returned from the doctor after getting the results of my MRI.

My problems have been painfull neck and headaches, but my latest problem has been a weakness in the legs and I have stumbled a few times.

The doctor tells me that the leg problems are due to a narrowing of the nerve channel?

This seems rather odd to me and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, and is there any treatment for this complaint.

Max

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi max,

It's possible your mri results show problems with your neck vertebra, cervical stenosis. Likely to be areas C 5-6 or 6-7. these are the common areas to affect the legs.

You will require further investigations for your treatment options. Welcome to this site, keep in touch. Mike.

• Posted

Thanks Mike,

Your dead right I do have problems with 5/6 but didn't know this could affect the legs.

Doc didn't mention any treatment, or wether it will deteriorate.

Thanks

Max

• Posted

Max, In my experience (diagnosis a little over a year ago, at age 55), the leg weakness comes and goes, and is especially noticeable when I switch from sitting to standing (have to pause for a few seconds so the nerve messages from my feet can reach my brain). Best advice I can give you is stay active, stay strong. I swim 3-4X a week and walk the dog several times a day, plus I switch from sitting to staning on an off at work all day (I got a desk top that can adjust easily and I stand on a gel mat).

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi max,

Typical, left in the dark to find things out for yourself. Then when you mention you have got been on a website they moan not to believe anything .

First off, I began having problems after an accident in 2011. For 13 months I had all the tests and scans possible,no diagnosis.

I was on the Internet for hours a day,USA as well as UK and diagnosed myself with cervical stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy. I had major problems in the root nerve at c4 c5 and actually managed to completely paralise my left arm and left side of face for a very scary 3-4 minutes.

I would personally avoid any exercise until you get your gp to refer you to physiotherapy .

You could do untold damage to your spinal cord.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.