Weakness in legs but no pain and clear scan of brain and lumbar, what could it be?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am a 22 y.o. who is suffering from leg weakness since 2 weeks+ now. I walk like a drunkard or baby just learning to walk, with knees bent awkwardly (during times I can walk) or legs outward in opposite directions/feet lightly almost on toes to keep myself up as legs feel very heavy and weak from thighs down. Most times I need help by holding something or family members carry me (since we don't have a wheelchair yet), sometimes I can only crawl since no energy/power in my legs.

It first happened after I had a panic attack due to stress from studies, we thought it was just that night that I was weak after the incident but it progressively became worse over the days, once or twice cannot move legs at all let alone get up or walk.

I did a CT scan of my brain, MRI of lumbar, blood and urine tests but everything was normal. I did have low blood pressure when I went to the emergency at hospital but it wasn't extremely low (56 on second number) and rose to normal when I left after two days. Doctors were not sure what it is and concluded maybe it's conversion thing, from psychological to physical - the panic attack/stress taking a lot of energy from legs. However we don't know anyone with stress/anxiety/depression having the same issue - and definitely not so soon or for weeks after being stressed?

In the beginning days I used to get migraine, chest tightness, shortness of breath whenever my legs became awfully weak, sometimes like fainting/falling but all these go away after about an hour. Now I get minimal chest tightness/dizziness/headache and frequent yawning but not all the time my legs are weak anymore.

If I walk for a few minutes my legs will get heavier and I wont be able to make it far or anywhere until I rest again. My energy feels like it's being drained like a battery of a phone decreasing with each use. I would also describe the experience such as the sand in an hourglass - the sand falling down is how it feels when legs are getting heavier/weaker, as the sand finishes the time it's like heaviness is piled up from lower legs to thighs so it's a "bag of sand", too heavy to move.

The final exam season is over and I have been on break since 3 weeks now so I don't think it's from the stress as doctors assumed but it's very worrying as they didn't have other explanation. My nerves are responsive, I can feel whenever they did the hammer thing, I just lack the strength to hold/move myself from places. I also get numbness/cramps in the legs and feet ache after some walking. The left leg is weaker than the right though both are affected.

What could it be as I searched online but not sure of any particular disease?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.