Weakness. No energy.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just curious if anyone else is having issues with the same thing I am. I am for weeks from my tkr & having a hard time with my energy level, making my bed totally exaust me.

I have a hard time breathing if I do almost anything. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Protein and lots of hydration. This is a very common result of the surgery. I was almost 2 months post-op and was sleeping 12-14 hours a day plus had little energy when I was awake. I talked to my GP and she said: "All of the energy in your body is being directed to healing your knee. If your body says 'sleep', then sleep." Good enough for me.

Your real problem is expectations...and ALL of us had them at the beginning. Get rid of all those expectations, time tables, etc. They only screw with your head. The knee, and not "you", control this recovery. The knee will be healed when it is healed...period. Your tools are time, work and patience. Push it and pay a hefty price. Don't do that. This is typically a year-long recovery; very, very, very few escape that path. Accept it, own it. Be really good to yourself with good nutrition and positive thoughts...even through the setbacks and plateaus...all normal.

• Posted

thank you. its good to know know that its ok.

• Edited

I had a similar experience with my 1st TKR. I was breathless and shaky after any effort and light headed after more effort. Turned out I just needed to take an iron supplement. My red blood count is higher than average so didnt register as being low after the op but was actually low for me (hope that makes sense). A Dr spotted this, prescribed iron pills for 2 wks and after a few days I was fine. This could be your problem so ask for a test for blood count levels now compared to your normal levels. Also your body is recovering after a major and quite brutal operation so its using a lot of energy which will make you tired and you might not be eating much if your appetite hasn't returned. All this will affect your energy levels. Hope that helps and good luck.

• Edited

I agree with Chico.......My expectations were way ahead of my reality until 11 months or so. I am 12 months now and hiking several miles and feeling and sleeping fine. It takes a long time to feel and where near normal and just keep on working out and maintaining sanity...............Hang in there...It DOES get better !!

• Edited

I had my TKR back in August 2019. It took me at least 6 months to regain my energy. I was very weak and felt fatigued everyday. I am 65 and also have fibromyalgia and arthritis in all my joints so that may have contributed to my recovery. I finally feel myself again. I think it is different for each person. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I had half knee replacement at beginning of February.

I already have MS with major fatigue!

All follow up appointments have been put on hold for now due to Corona19. All i want to do is sleep!

One day my knee can feel positive on the road to recovery. The next it makes me feel depressed as it feels bad.

What should I be doing, eating?

Feeling fed up.

L x

• Posted

Post-Op Depression is a real thing...

POD

Once you recognize it for what it is, kick its butt out the door.

Fatigue? I had that real bad for a long while. I asked my GP why I was sleeping like 12-14 hours a day. Her response: "All the energy in your body is going toward healing your knee. If your body says sleep, then sleep." NO JUDGMENT!!!

Doing? First your ROM work and then rebuilding all your atrophied muscles, especially quads, glutes and core. Walk...but use a pedometer or smart watch to track your STEPS...time and distance are irrelevant as it's the steps that put the load on the knee. Increase very gradually. If you get a "balloon knee", you did too much. Back off, heal and resume gradually.

ROM Work at Home

Muscle Rebuild

Do the work, get the rewards. This takes time, work and patience. Get rid of all your expectations and time tables.

• Posted

Thank you so much for you taking the time to answer it is very much appreciated. Will look into everything you have said, thanks again.

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.