Wean off Gabapentin or keep taking for another month?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Recently a family member was admitted into a mental health hospital and they gave him venlafaxine er and Gabapentin. They gave the Gabapentin because he complained of pain. The issue now is whether the pain was mostly mental or if their is a physical ailment that he needs that medicine for.

He does have a doctors appointment on Monday so maybe we will get answers there. Still reading that this medicine can cause suicidal thoughts and other issues. So far he does seem to be drowsy at times and sometimes out of it. Doesn't complain of having suicidal thoughts but complains of negative thoughts. Reading up on this is making me wonder if the gabapentin is making it worst or not.

I probably shouldn't be so worried initially as I've read that it can take several weeks for any of these meds to truly kick in. Still I don't want him to continuously take a medication that he might not need.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Drew,

All I can tell you is my experience with this med! The longer I was on it the worst things got! I had horrible side effects! When it got to the point I could hardly walk, got angry, cried all the time, itchy prickly skin, blurry vision, at times didn’t really know if I was coming and going, had as you call it very very dark moments! This drug messes with your brain!! Seeing this person has a dr. appt today I would tell them everything you are saying here! If the dr tells you to up it I would question it all you can!! I myself will never take it again, but I’m not saying it won’t work for them!! Just ask a lot of questions! Even tell them some of the things you have read on here if you have to!! Everyone is different! Good Luck with everything!!

• Posted

Gapentin is only prescribed for nerve pain or seizures. So if it was for imagined pain (due to mental illness) it won't help the pain unless it provides a placebo effect. But the side effects are so serious they would be better taking an aspirin or Tylenol and thinking it's a Gabapentin pill. For every month a person is on Gabapentin, it will take a month to withdraw. And the withdrawal symptoms are the same or worse than the side effects when you start on it. I was on only 400 mgs. for 90 days and quit November 15th (2017) after tapering down. I still suffer relentless severe anxiety as well as stuffy/runny sinuses, eye pain, inner ear pain, sharp pains in my head, constipation with stomach pain, low blood pressure, low sodium, low potassium and low magnesium, heart attack symptoms of chest pain (been to the hospital twice) freezing then burning up and that's just part of it. I implore you to urge this family member to start getting off Gabapentin. And welcome you questions. My prayers are with them.🙏

• Posted

DAng that is exactly what i was going through and still going through always have a panicked feeling been to hospital 6 times had all kinds of test on my heart nothing i think this drug should be banned
  • Posted

this drug is bad news it is horrible i would tell dr all side effects then get off it if possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.