Weaning after 34 years..impossible!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Way back in 1981,I was prescribed Mogadon by a Locum doctor and repeat prescriptions were there for 2 years before I saw another GP.

Yes I was hooked and even today I am on Nitrazepam (5mg) which after 34 years is my way of life now.

Our  new GP realises that I am an addict but he requested I put it in writing that the "Onus" was on me to continue to take the tablets which he said would be impossible to get me off anyway and I am happy to continue to have my "Crutch" because I refuse to suffer the withdrawral symptoms that these will have no doubt.

A locum GP has stepped into the breach and today on the back of the 14 day prescription instead of 28 days,he states I need to be "Weaned" off Nitrazepam even though I have never met the man or had any dealings with him ever,so I contacted the surgery to attempt to make an appointment with the Locum,hopefully tomorrow so that I can show him the letter I wrote to the original GP stating I am willing to take Nitrazepam until I will never need them again.

I have a AAA (Abdominal Aotic Aneurysm),have just had surgery for blocked artery so have 2 holes in my groins to stop my foot going necrotic and loosing my left leg,I've had a Perforated Duodenal Ulcer years ago so all this doctor is doing is causing me more grief by threatening to Wean me off something I have taken for so long.

I would imagine the Locum is but a "youngster" and they have to be made aware but for God's sake why try and make my life any more anxious than it already is by teaching a "Granny to suck eggs".

It would kill me for sure!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey I had the same problem as you back in early 2013 when I changed Gp practises. 

The younger Drs have had it drilled into them that any sleeping pill/benzo must be avoided at any cost. Having it on their record that they prescribe it long term worries them, however clearly you have been taking it for such a long time weaning you off it is likely to be detrimental to your health.

I think you should make an appointment to see another Dr - write a letter explaining in detail why you want to stay as you are. The truth is, were to you be reffered to mental health they would say to keep your medications as they are, changing them is too much risk.

It gave me such anxiety when they sugguested changing my meds - they are my life line! I feel for you. I was terrified, literally terrified. They seemed happy to put me on anti depressants with much worse side effects. You must be aware there has been A LOT of negative press about the medication you are taking - and unfortuntately even for people for whom it does not effect negatively they are told they cant carry on taking meds that work for them. However if you really explain your case - to an older more experienced Dr they change your medication if its a risk to you (say your mental health/suicide risk for example) 

I would ask to see another Dr, if that doesn't work. I would explain how extrememly anxious you are about this and that you feel like it might kill you. 

Let me know how you get on. 

All the best.

We are all indivuals and deserve to be treated so. 

• Posted

Tell him he has a duty of care and governmeny regulations say you cannot be forced off them..I am involuntarily dependent on valium for 44 years ..I would rathe die than give them up 

Chin up ..fight your corner ..it's your body..and they gave you the pills in the first place 

• Posted

It is almost impossible to come off Nitrazepam when it has been long term.  I was prescribed them 46 years ago after a nervous breakdown and was not told they were addicitive although I knew they were because I  could not get any sleep without them.  In the 90's a new doctor said she did not believe in night sedation and sent me to withdrawal group at the local hospital.   It was so hard and dreadful withdrawal symptoms  that a doctor who was in charge of the group said he felt I was a candidate for taking them for the rest of my life as I was happy on them and no side effects from them.  If I could go back in time I would certainly have begged for help in the first few months of taking them as it would have been easy then to get off them.  However, the fact is I need to get good sleep and am a healthy person and would certainly not be if they were withdrawn.  Am sure a lot of gp's are sympathetic and understand what has happened to people like us and will continue to prescribe.  I am certain  there would be an outcry from people if they were taken off them. .    I wish you alll well and  would like to think you have no need to worry as regards being forced off these.     Good luck
  • Posted

Go back to your own Doc, or this locum and tell them you need to stay on your Med .never been asked by any of my docs to sign anything as regards my medication .

best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.