Weaning HC

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi  I hope someone can help me here.

I have hypothyroidism and I have been weaning from HC since January.  Was on 25mg and am now down to 7.5mg.    

The problem I'm having is that I took HC for low cortisol but taking the HC raised my adrenal output where I was over producing cortisol above the reference range of a cortisol saliva test.  

Now I've reached 7.5mg I'm finding that I'm getting hypo symptoms, i.e. dry skin, hair loss and eyelash/brow lost.   I'm on a combo of T4 and T3.  My thyroid blood test are all good.    TSH 0.01 (0.3 - 5.5)  FT4   14.1  (9 - 25) and FT3 5.2 (2.5 - 6.3)  and I had another cortisol saliva test done and levels apart from Sample 1 which is in range, the other three are just above range so levels have dropped substantially.

I have tried raising T4 but this has made hypo symptosm worse.  I have also tried raising T3 but as this is close to the top of the range I get symptoms of over medication.  

I don't know how to go forward with this weaning.   I'm not getting any symptoms of reducing HC and I'm reducing every two weeks.

I would appreciate it if there is someone who could help me with this situation.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Background: Had Graves, thyroid remove, now Hypo,

Take 125mg Dly.

Addison's disease, take 30mg, Hydrocortisone and 100mcg. Dly.

1. Were you diagnosed with Addison's? I ask that because 25mg is a lot for insufficiency? Is it your adrenals (primary) or is your problem your Pituitary (secondary)? I ask that because if the your up and down results are there, you need to solve why before you can solve the how!

2. You mention saliva tests, you need blood tests.

3. Are you seeing an endocrinologist?

4. You use the word "weaning" as if your goal is to stop altogether. Do you you mean reduce?

5. If you are now taking 7.5 mg and are feeling ill again then evidently have a problem.

Very Important!! The body needs more cortisol/hydrocortisone at times of stress. Trying to sort out your illnesses is stressful, you then burn/need more hydrocortisone to feel normal.

Calm! Relax ... It's a vicious cycle, I know, after 25 years of taking hydrocortisone I could tell you some real horror stories!!

Take it slow, think, and review all your symptoms.

Take Care

• Posted

Hi darlene07012

Thanks for replying to my post.

No, I dont have Adddisons but low cortisol output.

Yes, I'm under an endocrinologist but, to be quite honest, don't have much faith in GPs or my Endo.   When I mentioned symptoms like hair loss I get very little or no response.   I wasn't converting for 18 months and the Endo did nothing.  I went onto a Thyroid forum and after posting my thyroid blood test results, they told me I wasn't converting and needed the addition of T3.  I had to fight to get prescribed T3.

I have Hashimoto's thyroidism and I'm on 75mcg of T4 and 25 of T3.  

Last year had a cortisol saliva test done which showed very low cortisol output.  I tried adrenal cortex for several months but needed "something stronger".  

I began taking hydrocortisone earlier this year to supplement low cortisol.   In fact what the HC did was to stimulate my own adrenals which when into over-drive and began producing too much cortisol.  

I had another saliva test done in April this year and my cortisol levels were way, way over range to the point where Cushings Syndrome was mentioned.  

I immediately began weaning off the HC slowly and have had no side effects apart from some mild feelings of nausea and depression.

When I reached 7.5mg my skin began drying and became flaky and rough.  My hair, eyelashes/brows began shedding.  

I had a thyroid blood test done In March, April and May and each time my thyroid levels were dropping but I am not under medicated.

A couple of days ago I noticed that when I pulled on any hair on my head it literally came out without much resistance.  This is scaring me as this is new.  I don't think it is alopaecia but more to do with high levels of cortisol swimming around my body for over four months.  The high levels elevated my thyroid blood levels and had to drop my thyroid meds.

My aim is to come off of HC but feel stuck because of what seems like hypo symptoms returning.   I really don't know how to go forward.   I know HC suppresses the HPA axis and am wondering if this may be connected.  

My symptoms since weaning are very dry skin, hair loss, eyelash/brow loss and feeling tired throughout the day.

If you could offer some advice/suggestions I would be grateful.

take care

• Posted

I’m checking to see if you are still on this forum, if so please reply I have many questions and I’m thinking by now you are a pro on the subject. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.