weaning myselff alcohol slowly, to detox safe at home

Posted , 8 users are following.

ok, I have struggled with insomnia and anxiety  my entire adult  life, hard to go to sleep, so I began drinking about 10 years ago, only from 5-9 pm a few glasses of wine, sometimes a bottle. Im being honest. I was also on zoloft for 16 years , weaned myself off about 6 month ago to see if I could function without it. I reently staretd having severe panic attacks on Tuesday, so I decided to start back on my zoloft, since it worked so well to control the anxiety. I know it will take weeks before I can feel the results and be anxiety free again, but somethiing strange happened, I decided to stop drinking one night and woke up the next day with horrible tremors, nausea, anxiety, fear, so I took a half a zanax , I only take as needed which is very rare, this calmed me down, and I read some forums onlie about tapering off alcohol safely at home, and how to do it. so the past several days I have cut my wine down to 2 glasses, and it said switch to beer, one per hour if needed and I havenet needed that much i had a beer this am to calm my shakes down and was able to snap out of panic mode, around 4 I staretd feeling that anxiety again ha a beer and am fine, so my goal is to be alcohol free, and when they say taper they mean taper, if i was drinking from -9 every day sometimes 1 bottle ow wine a night, Ifeel relived that I have come a long way and am safe, I know quitting alcohol cold turkey can be fatal, my doctor has agreed with me on this method, and if I get worse I can go to detox, but that is so expensive, so Im trying does anyone out there have experince safely detoxing at home too? thanks for sharing

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi zazu2002

welcome to the madhouse, which is this forum lol!

First of all well done for taking the first step in admitting you've got a problem and wanting help.

you'll get loads of help and advice here. We don't judge, but honesty is one of the most important aspects. We've all admitted things, so just be honest how much you drink. Your withdrawal reaction sounds as if you've being having more than a bottle, but we all act differently.

one of the regulars on here, RHGB replied excellently to a post from Bryan yesterday, sounded similar to you. Have a read of that as it explains what's happening to your body.

i can really empathise about drinking to relieve anxiety and insomnia (why I'm posting at 3.15am). That was the reason I started drinking, not daily but binge drinking.

Am glad you realise the dangers of going cold turkey, very dangerous and scary.

There are medications to help you and am sure those members taking them will offer advice.

have a read of RHGBs post, it is good.

you say you're on Zoloft, I take it you're from the USA. We know it as sertraline.

youll have loads of replies soon, with all sorts of advice. Be proud you've taken the first step and want help. You seem to have a good doctor, which seems rare these days.

apologies if you're not from the states, it was the zoloft which made me think of that.

good luck

• Posted

yes, Im from the USA, I live in Texas, I am 45  years , I walk/jog 2 miles 3 times a week,accept missed last week nd now this week from current anxiety ,  so I do have one healthy habit however the insomnia at night is what started my habit of drinking, loved my wine, but I made it a point never to buy more than 1 bottle at a time, so I wouldnt drink more. but i did drink it fast and some nights would drink the whole bottle, but most nights about 3/4 of it, the next day I would buy my other bottle and finish the  1/4 that was left in the one the night before and begin to drink, I take benadry week nights at 8 pm so Im always in bed by 9 pm, that gives me time  to get my son up and ready for school at 6 am  each morning, and get to work too, so I have weaned to 2 glassess of wine a night and, wake with a beer in the am, to control my shakes and it seems to be working so far this week is better, how I find RHGBS posts? thank you
    • Posted

Hi zazu

glad you're doing a bit better now and that you've not gone cold turkey. 

Just scroll up up or down in this discussion and you can see the various replies you've had.

RHGB was the second person to reply to you, after me.

• Posted

Hello Zazu. Welcome and honesty is a good sign and we will try to help. I have nothing to add since Vickylou said it all and yes, RHGB does long and technical replies..look him up pls..u r on the way to recovery already I think and I wish you best of luck. Robin
  • Posted

Vickylou has pre-empted the first thing I would have said, what you tell us you're drinking and what you tell us are your symptoms don't stack up.

So, based on what you have told us, one bottle of wine a day, you're fine, if you could have a couple of dry days a week all the better. You must have just had a bad reaction, your system must have been a bit low on the day, that's all. You have nothing to worry about.

Based on what you have told us, that is excellent advice. Can I just ask, is that what you wanted to hear? Of course if you were drinking much more than you say (as the symptoms indicate), that is terrible advice. You have come here because you are worried and you want advice, so starting with the truth is a good starting place.

Unfortunately the withdrawal symptoms you describe are quite natural for a heavy daily drinker, but you need to tell me what that real figure is, to give accurate advice, I'd say your one bottle a day, is actually at least two, maybe three. It wouldn't shock me, a number of people posting here have ended up in hospital through alcohol, so you have a long way to go. When I hear a litre bottle of spirits a day, then I start to twinge a bit.

Yes, no wonder your GP agreed that tapering is a good idea, because it involves to effort, risk or research on his behalf. He has done nothing more than agree with you that you should drink less. If he had done the slightest bit of questioning, he would have done the same as me and said the consumption doesn't match with the symptoms.

He would have told you that tapering works for virtually nobody. I manged it once, when I started drinking for a short period after not drinking for a while. The alcohol hadn't quite got a proper hold on me and I was able to taper off and stop. That is the sort of minority who manage it and their drinking levels.

What happens is that you have a couple of drinks, the alcohol has the effect of getting the brain to dump a load of endorphins and dopamine into the system and all self control goes out of the window.

A detox would be the best thing for you. Ask your doctor to prescribe you diazepam. Book a couple of days off work, or do it over the weekend and preferably with a partner if you have one. Usually after the first four days, you're okay, but it can take up to one week for some people. You shouldn't really feel much if the dosage is correct.

Come back with your real consumption and more accurate advice can then be given.

• Posted

goodmorning, and thank you for your advice. yes, Im from the USA, I live in Texas, I am 45  years , I walk/jog 2 miles 3 times a week,accept missed last week and now this week from current anxiety ,  so I do have one healthy habit and Im 5 foot 2, small frame  however the insomnia at night is what started my habit of drinking, loved my wine, but I made it a point never to buy more than 1 bottle at a time, so I wouldnt drink more. but i did drink it fast and some nights would drink the whole bottle, but most nights about 3/4 of it, the next day I would buy my other bottle and finish the  1/4 that was left in the one the night before and begin to drink, I take benadry week nights at 8 pm so Im always in bed by 9 pm, that gives me time  to get my son up and ready for school at 6 am  each morning, and get to work too, so I have weaned to 2 glassess of wine a night and, wake with a beer in the am, to control my shakes and it seems to be working so far this week is better,  thank you
    • Posted

I just read about diazepam, and it says its a valium and can treat anxiety and seizures, but combining wi alcohol can slow breathing and possibly lead to death, so for now im only taking half of a .5 zanax at 6 am with a beer then i relax and seem to be ok until around 1130then do another beer only, when 4 rolls around i feel shaky that is when my normal drinking would begin so might take another half of the .5 zanax and have a beer or 2,i do miss my wine still have half a bottle left tonight i might have 1 glass, when the wine is empty in a few days i will  buy more.  after dinner i dont allw myself to drink i takemy benadry at 8 to be in bed by 9, so im up for my son to get ready for school at 6 am
  • Posted

hope all is well, I would like to take a home-detox regiment. your story sounds very similar to mine, and I have insomnia that I control with alcohol at night, and then I wake up and feel fine and deliver my daughter and go to work perfectly normal. Recently, I started waking even earlier, sometimes 3-4 hours before alarm goes off, and I feel almost panicky that I wont be able to get enough sleep to manage my job when I go in. After a couple months, excusing myself from burdens at home to explain my lack of energy at work, I in-fact tried some more alcohol during these "witching hours" in the middle of the nite, and It worked fine- although suddenly I seemed a little bit more "up-beat" in the morning, worn out at the end of day, and felt like the change-over was drawing suspicion. I always counted and limited intake, so be sober on the roads in the car and at work. Never was an issue. If i measured 7-8 drinks at night from about 7 dinnertime until 10pm, I made sure at least 8 hours before getting behind the wheel. I lived this routine for years, always kept stable at work. But now, I have a second child on the way, and I have decided this needs to stop. I get withdrawls. I had an opioid addiction for 8 yrs, prescribed meds. I took them for "pain mangement" after an accident, but really wasn't in much pain. I managed to wean off and quit cold turkey, and stopped smoking as well after 15 years. I know I can do this. Of course, to support an alcohol habit I do regularly take vitimins daily, especially B and C, and excercise hard-core for an hour 3-times a week- which really seems to sweat out the toxicity. I feel great after taking a shower every morning, I can  tell you I was MUCH worse with binge routine for 5 years straight in college, but now I just want to clean up my act. I welcome your suggestions, even if you haven't shared quite the same experience. God Bless, sincerely-

Honest Drinker seeking Advice

• Posted

This thread is a year old, best to start a new thread of your own.
    • Posted

It's great to hear from you I'm sure with struggling a lot of the same I gave up wine because it was my enemy and I started drinking beer to wean off of alcohol but I'm not quite weaned Tera year later of course,  i'm also very responsible I'm a single mom and my son is starting high school tomorrow morning I take Benadryl to go to sleep at night along with beer I only do six beers a night during the week and I feel like I've come along way I'm on sertraline also known as Zoloft 100 mg per night that controls my panic attacks  , I look forward to hearing more from you good luck stay in touch

• Posted

Hello, I would also like help with this if I'm honest I drink up to 70cl of vodka a day and if I don't drink any I start getting the shakes any advice?

• Posted

Hi daniel

my first piece of advice is you need to see your gp. You’ve been really honest here and I know how hard that can be.

The fact that you’re wanting help is great and often the hardest part. Your body has become dependant on alcohol. The shakes is your body’s reaction to not having alcohol 

iPad needs charging, will get back to you

• Posted

Hi daniel

whatever you do, don’t go cold turkey. You need a safe detox with medication, usually Librium or Diazapam. Start on a high dose to combat the withdrawals and taper off gradually over a week.

Should you experience severe tremors, hallucinations, seeing and hearing things, you need urgent medical attention to avoid possible seizures which can be fatal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.