Weaning off advice

Posted , 8 users are following.

Am weaning off mert 15mg how best to do it? My mental health nurse said I can just stop it but feeling bad with bad sleep and headaches

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

Hi. After a year on 45mg I'm down to 15mg. Its a risk to suddenly stop at 15. May be cut down a mg every few days. The rik to suddenly stop may side effects like anxiety, depression, tiredness, fatigue etc. Good luck

• Edited

i am reducing from 45mg to 30mg at the moment, its very easy for the drs to say just stop but if you want to be kind to yourself the i would also taper very slowly and drink lots of water. You must be kind to yourself so take it easy drop a bit maybe for a week and so on. xx let us know how it goes.

• Posted

Stopping suddenly is a definite no no. i tapered off (15mg for 4 years) over a number of months :-

1. Go to one tablet every other day for at least two weeks
    2. Drop down to a tablet every two days for at least two weeks
    3. and so on, until you get to only 1 per week at which point you can probably just stop.

It can be difficult and may have some setbacks but stick to it and you will get through.

Best advice, talk to a Dr not a nurse

• Edited

was on 15mg back in april 2018 for anxiety amd insomnia but i knew i dont need the medication so after 3 wks i decided to wean off. cut it into half and went 10% every 3wks. took me 1 year to be finally off it last March 2019. so glad im off it and my sleep has been back to normal

• Posted

This support group is great but how I wish the Doctors would have a look at the problems we have with the medication.

• Edited

I know. The drug seems to effect every single person differently. Sometimes I wonder what good its done me, one year on. I aim to be mirt free in 4 weeks. On liquid so helps with the cutting down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.