Weaning off Amitriptyline by spacing out dosage more?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm taking 25mg of Amitriptyline a day and in my opinion this is too much, and i only have 2 tablets remaining with no repeats. I've read that these tablets can't be cut into smaller doses, because there is a lining around the tablet you don't want to break. Instead of taking 1/day could I space it out and take 25mg every two days? Or will the fluctuation between zero and 25 be too much on my system? (I've only been on this for about 3 weeks so far)

Basically i'm buying time right now until I can get my doctor to refill my prescription and maybe lower the dosage.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been using a pill cutter to cut my amitriptyline for a couple of years now while I've been coming down from 50mg to 2.5mg.  I've been cutting the little blue 10mgs into 1/4s and it works well.

• Posted

Hi jeff yes you can cut them i cut mine before going on liquid. JEFF DO NOT STOP 25 MG it is too high a dose you need to wean off of them slowly x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.