Weaning off atenolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've only been on Atenolol 25mg for less than a month for heart palpitations I'm trying to get off it.. doctor told me take one every other day and then take one every 2 days... like a week a piece. Experiencing some anxiety and im a little nauseous. Is this normal? I just want my life back before this horrible drug. I was so emotional and experienced shortness of breath on Atenolol. Feedback? Anyone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary

Am not on Attonol but it's equivalent Bisoprolol. I too am trying to wean off this horrible drug but been on it now for over 12 months so finding it very hard. I chip a quarter off every day then half it, take one half before breakfast and the other around 7.30. But it's murder as the palpitations always come on after I've had an evening meal, especially if it's quite heavy. Last night they lasted all through until 7.30 this morning when l then took the first half of the day. I want off these so much l am pushing myself to not give in. Must say my mood has improved slightly although still getting jittery and anxious towards bedtime. Why l don't know.

It's an awful place to be but take you time and do what you think is best for you. It's all very well for the Dr to suggest what you should do but he's not the one with the fears and the nausea. By the way,l get nausea too so maybe that's a given thing when we wean off, don't know.

I wish you well and try to stand firm. Have you any plans for when you do get the drug out of your system? I.e. something else to stop the palpitations? If you do and it works etc, perhaps you could let me know as I'm thinking l most likely will need a back up for mine.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have a fib..permanent so feel the jittery anxious feeling all day. Really horrible. It’s as if I’m scared!

I was given bisoprolol and took this for 4/5 years,putting up with so many side effects. I thought it was the a fib and when I asked the doctor I wasn’t given any explanation. I just put up with the side effects through complete ignorance! I then found this site. After some time and a new go I eventually was changed to atenolol. I persevered with this drug until I again read poste on here. I decided to wean myself off the atenolol and after 3 months I wasn’t taking any of it! 

The withdrawal wasn’t good and lasted more than 6 months. I had panic attacks, was dizzy, palps, hot flushes fluctuating b p and pulse very erratic in short bursts. These happened very randomly. I kept a check on my bpressure and pulse. I then saw another new gp.who was very understanding. Her mother was a a fib patient too. She gave me a prescription for bisoprolol in case I felt the need! She said she would put me in charge! Scary! I was happy to go along with that knowing I had some support if needed.

So I’m now betablocker free, bop is ok, pulse up and down,but all the other side effects have gone. I really do feel so much better! I put up with the jitteryfeeling and have a lot of lower back pain. I don’t know what is causing the back pain...age?,weight, posture,lack of exercise or the a fib. 

I hope my post helps you. I know how rotten this drug made me feel. Take care. Not everyone has the problems I’ve had with beta blockers. I was unlucky. Glad to be rid of     them! 

• Posted

mary0418...I would say that what you're experiencing is normal. You were on the Atenolol 25mg for less than a month, which isn't a long period of time by any stretch. You COULD go a little slower if you wanted, i.e. take a whole pill one day, then half a pill the next for about a week. You could then go 1/2 pill every other day for about a week, then every other other day, etc. 

As for feeling nauseous...it could be a normal reaction, or it may be something else. As for the anxiety, perhaps it's nervousness at weaning off the drug that's making you anxious.

• Posted

You were emotional *on* atenolol?  That's just what it's supposed to prevent!  Odd.

?I've taken mostly half a 25mg atenolol per day, and found that was more than enough for me, and even that was hard to get off.  I finally had some other health events, lost some weight, and suddenly I was off!  But when I tried to skip it before, yes, it climbs on top of you after a day or two, it's hard to get off.

?So if you can manage to split those tiny 25mg pills, taking half is a good way to wean off, rather than one every two days.  And maybe treat yourself to some dark chocolate along the way, no milk allowed, as that includes a natural beta blocker!  It takes an ounce or two of 72% to 95% to have effect, but it does work.

• Posted

Hi Mary0418, I want to come off this medicine too and just wondering if you managed to wean off and how did you feel? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.