Weaning Off Bisoprolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, I'm totally new to this so I apologise in advance if this should be something that's frequently discussed on here.

I suffer with ectopic beats as a given, but I was prescribed 2.5mg of Bisoprolol about 3 weeks ago following a series of random episodes of tachycardia and weakness and I'm really not enjoying how they're making me feel; I'm constantly anxious for no apparent reason and the fluttering sensation they've brought about in my chest is horrendous, to the point where it stops me from being able to sleep some nights so, I want to get myself off of them as soon as possible.

I spoke to my GP and she told me that I could just stop taking them completely as I'm on the lowest possible dose (I started with 1.25mg with the intention of eventually upping my dose to the prescribed 2.5mg) and have only been taking them for a short amount of time but, I'm not convinced that going cold turkey, as opposed to tapering off of them, is the best idea given how much they affect me even at such a low dose, which is why I'm here; I'd like some advice from people who have been in a similar situation as I'm really unwell at the minute and I don't want to do anything to make myself feel worse if I can avoid doing so.

I was thinking of taking them every other day for a few days and then every two days for a further few days until eventually stopping completely as I don't think I could score the tablets into quarters but, I'd like a second opinion as I've read that the withdrawals can be awful and I suspect that I will experience some, given how they make me feel.

I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can offer me and would like to thank anyone who should respond in advance for their time and input; reading through these threads has been so comforting for me and it's such a relief to know that I'm not alone with my problems.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was put on biso for 4 months when I started having SVT I felt like a zombie. I first started 5 mg but half way through I dropped it to 2.5 mg.

When I was taking it, I could not get off the sofa from exhaustion. My hands and feet were freezing.

After the 4 months of taking, I decided to go and have an atempted ablation done. I was told to just stop the biso 5 days prior. I asked if that was ok to just stop, and was assures it was fine.

WELL......it wasn't fine. I went through horrid withdrawal. Terrible anxiety. My legs were all jelly and I could hardly walk.

My family doctor told me it was anxiety. He put me on an benzo and that was the worst decision I ever made. ( Long story........)

If I had known of the withdrawal from biso was infact withdrawal, I would never have gone on the benzo..

It was purely withdrawal from the biso.

Bow, you have been on a very small dose and have not taken it very long. You might be just fine.

My daughter was on 2.5 and just stopped and was absolutely fine. Everyone is different

If you do wean off, I would suggest not missing a day. Keep the strength even.. And you should be able to split the pill.

When I was weaning off the benzo, I literally shaved off daily

• Posted

hello, is anyone still active on this forum? i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

• Posted

Hi, how are you feeling now? I Can see you wrote this post some time ago. I'm two weeks after weaning of Biso and Im wondering how long my awful days are gonna last ? I was taking 2.5 mg 12 days and after that I started to wean off. I have enough of my heart racing even when I'm going to toilet . MY anxiety is through the roof... HOPE YOU BETTER !

• Posted

am on this drug from last 3-4 months. My doctor has asked me to wean off the medication. Currently on 2.5 mg and have started weaning by by 1/16 th of the dose. I would like to wean off till i reach 1.25mg and then wait to see if the side effects come down.

Most dangerous part of this drug is when you initiate this drug you will not see any reaction but over weeks/months you develop crazy symptoms, worst part is breathlessness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.