Weaning off Bisoprolol after a year on it.

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello. i plan on stopping Bisoprolol soon. as i do not want to rely on this medication forever.

i am on 5mg. 2.5 morning and 2.5 night.

i have inappropriate sinus tachycardia but its not too severe.

before i started Bisoprolol in January my resting heart rate was between 90-101. whilst on Bisoprolol my Resting HR is 80. a couple of weeks ago i stopped taking it (weaning off over a couple weeks)

my heart rate has never been so high! i thought i was going to die and couldn't stop shaking with fear.

am i going to have to stay on this forever? i feel hopeless and don't know what to do 😦

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I hope you are successful in weaning off the bisoprolol. I realise how difficult this can be. I have only been on it 8 weeks following heart surgery - mitral valve repair. They put me on 1.25 them 2.5 mg following minor afib following surgery. I think it is fairly standard procedure in UK to put you on beta blocker following heart surgery unless your heart rate is very low. I have been taking it usually in the morning, but haven't enjoyed the side effects, dry mouth, numbness in the lungs, stomach ache. I have dreaded taking it and decided this week to try taking it at night instead to sleep through it. I took it after quite an active day, but not in enough time. I didn't realise how bad a rebound could be and I thought I was having a stroke! Dizziness, some chest pain, I couldn't speak properly for a few minutes. Terrifying. I ended up in A&E the emergency room and I had ECG, blood test, chest x ray. I spoke to two very good doctors who assured me all was ok. My blood pressure was a little higher than usual. I feel it is my fault for not taking it religiously. However, it should have been explained to me just how dangerous beta blocker can be before I started to take it. I was feeling really well and now I feel really low and low energy following the rebound.

I feel if I had never been prescribed the beta blocker I would be feeling better now. I couldn't have had this withdrawal rebound. I know now to respect the beta blocker, to be super careful and never to be without the drug when I return to work. Imagine being held up somewhere and not having the drug when you should be taking it. I can understand why it is prescribed, but the evidence doesn't seem to show the beta blocker particularly reduces the risk of stroke or prolongs life. I am also taking warfarin/coumadin for three months as a precaution which I have no problem with.

I wish the beta blocker had been properly explained to me before I was prescribed it. However, in hospital you tend to take what is given to you. I am due to speak to my cardiologist soon and I will discuss being weaned off if it is possible.

• Edited

Hi, just reading all of this now. Kind of discouraging but hopeful at the same time. I guess there is no defined way to taper? Ive been on Bis 2.5 daily for 2 1/2 months. Started when i ended up in hospital with tachy at 150. Not sure if was sinus or SVT. 72 hr holter was normal which i knew it would be as i had no symptoms while monitored. Noraml echo too. Stress scan, mild reversible stenosis at max capacity, RCA territory. On ASA otherwise only. .. and yes i hate my bisoprolol. Same malaise, hands numb etc as everyone else im reading. ... so im starting to taper. Here in canada the smallest tabs at 5 mg. My pharmacist has spilt into quarters for me. Im shaving with a nail file and a micro scale. Yesterday 2.25 mg and today 2 mg. Ill assess daily but from what im reading i think ill do at least 3-4 days before changing doses. Jittery today and BP up very slightly ... i had no BP issues (that i knew of) before all of this. My first goal is to get down to 1.25 and go from there. I hope youre seeing some success with yours??

• Edited

Hi Richard,

I know what you mean with biso only being 5 here in Canada.

I was put on 5 mg when I started having SVT.

I went for an attempted ablation and was told to just stop it 5 days prior to ablation date. I asked if that was ok, and of course * was told it was just fine.........

Well it was not fine. I went into complete withdrawal. Never had anxiety like that before. Unfortunately, I did not realize at the time it was withdrawal, and believed my doctor when he said it was pure anxiety. I was then put on a benzo and trazadone.Big mistake!!!!!!

It was grueling trying to to then after 18 months wean myslef off both of those drugs that took 9 months to do so. Worst time of my life.

If I had known that biso should never have just been stopped, I would have done it properly

If I knew then what |I know now..............

• Posted

hi Richard

im so sorry for your struggle! I too am trying to get off the last of my beta blocker (Atenolol 7mg). it has been nightmarish to say the least. i am using a compounding pharmacy to give me exact capsules.

i am also from Canada....Toronto

• Posted

Hi Everyone

A year ago, I used bisoprolol for a month, I just stopped it, and I have had withdrawal symptoms until now, ringing in the ears, sounds when swallowing, loss of energy, cold feet, lack of balance and muscle recovery, , and I dont want to visit the doctor again, I use all vitamins, I hope to get rid of this nightmare, who has help, thank him

again i stop IT since 1 year and still i have side effect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.