Weaning off citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am new to this discussion board. I have been taking citalopram 20mg for about 25 years now. Had a doctor appt today and told her i wanted to come off. She suggested I take 10mg for 2 weeks then done! I have been doing a little research before this and I read alot of stuff about decreasing your dose by 10% for like 3 to 4 weeks then another 10% so on and so forth. After reading discussions I would like to avoid as many side effects as possible. I was thinking of going down to 15mg for 3 weeks then 10mg for 3 weeks, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated! I feel as though you get put on this stuff and the doctor doesnt know how to wean you off.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi cis I had the same to come of mirt.. pdr said just come off it.. I saw my gp 2weeks later he was shocked when I told I was more so because of what I was reading about but he said youv gone through the worst of it so youl be ok.. I think on here is the best information by far ..don't listen to your dr ..especially after 25yrs of taking them. . Youl be crawling the walls.. I wish u lots of luck x

• Posted

Hi Cis. I dont know much about coming off this AD but from reading forums in here u would be coming off too fast. Theres a lady who comes in here by the name of Katecogs. Seek her out for some advice. She knows this drugnin and out!!!!! Good luck.
    • Posted

John, thanks for the tip! I will seek her out!
  • Posted

Hi.. Well the GP is not advising you very well at all. I have recently decided to wean of them myself after having been on them for 10 yrs 2pmg and my doctor has been great. He advised me to start by alternating daily between 20mg and 10mg for a month and see how I get on and now I am on 10mg daily and he has recommended that I remain on that for a couple of months. He said it takes a minimum of 3 months to come off it but can take up to a year. Im on my first week of taking 10mg now and although feeling a little irritable I think Im okay at the moment. I do not want to be reliant on these drugs anymore. I have gained approx u.5 stone since being on them and I was always slim. Its horrible. Good luck with your journey but try and speak to a different GP as the one you have spoken to does not seem to know what they are talking about xx
    • Posted

Lorraine, thank you so much for your reply. That is exactly my thought. When she told me this I said really, thats it! She saud yes, this one is easy to come off of. I fell if they are licensed to prescribe, they should be licensed to wean! Thanks again!
    • Posted

Well she is very wrong. I think its really important that a GP supports you as it is going to be a tough journey. My GP said to remain positive about it as that helps because so many people are negative about coming off them which is what causes them to be unsuccessful. I know I have a difficult road ahead of me but I am trying to remain positive. I think I am going to ask for some counselling as I know there are a lot of issues with my Mum that causeme anxiety xxx
    • Posted

I am a very positive person and yes that is the key to everything! I had rotator cuff surgery 2 months ago and people kept telling me to make sure to take painkillers. No thank you. I really didnt have alot of pain, only took ibuprofen off and on and I am fine and will be fine! People cant believe how good I am doing! Lol Nothing wrong with enduring a little pain! Lol I do have a high tolerance level though! So on that note I know I will be fine weaning off the citalopram! Have a good one and thanks again!
  • Posted

Ooooh no, don't come off that way - you'll be very ill.  Aaaargh doctors!!!

Its best done much, much slower - there's no hurry to stop.  

I did it by buying a pill cutter and cutting my 20mg into 1/4's making each one 5mg.  For 2 months I took 15mg, then another 2 months at 10mg, then 2 months at 5mg, next is 5mg every other day for a few months, then 5mg every 3 days, then 4 days etc etc until you're on 5mg once a week ........ then stop.

I came off once before by halving my dose, then halving again (still taking many months) and I had withdrawal effects.

Doing it my 5mg at a time I didn't get any withdrawal effects.

You could do 5mg for a month instead of 2 months ....... just gauge how your body feels.

But ...... please don't come off in 2 weeks as your doctor suggests.  You'll feel it big time.

K xx

• Posted

Awesome thank you, how do you know all this?  LOL
    • Posted

Hi Kate. Been feeling a little crappy the last few days. Almost like a roller coaster. Different feelings---good one min and down the next. I've been on 40mg's for the last 5 weeksnor so. Is this normal? I thought I would be passed these types of feelings!!!!! Or is this a blip?????

• Posted

Years and years of experience with the illness, years of taking the meds, reading lots about it, withdrawing from the meds, plus my son became ill 2 years ago and he went through all this on meds too (is off them now and recovered).

K x

• Posted

Hi John

Sounds like a blip.  Don't forget, recovery often comes in waves - there'll be days / weeks feeling good followed by days, sometimes weeks, feeling low again.  Try and let it be there, keep relaxed as much as possible, go walking,  remind yourself its part of recovery ..... I'm certain this will pass.

I had blips for a good 6 months and a few after that.  The got less each time, and eventually when one appeared I just knew it would pass soon.

K x

• Posted

Ah thank you Kate. U are the best. Starting to feel a bit better today. Got a sore left ear now probably because of the darn wind. Just rode my bike for an hour. Hope youre having a great day!!!!!! And thanks again.
    • Posted

Hey thats good - feeling a bit better.  Some days will be bad, others ok and others great.  Glad its passing - definitely a blip.  There'll be others, but take them all in your stride and let them wash over you.  They always pass.

The wind always gives me earache .... especially when its a cold wind.  Love bike riding - I did loads when I was none too good.  Couldn't get off my bike after being out too long sometimes though .... was ouch rolleyes

K x

• Posted

Had a decent day today. Had a pretty crappy sleep last night though. I find if I dont sleep well then the following day is usually not the greatest. Today was the exception. Thank you so much for youre advice. It is greatly appreciated!!!!!
    • Posted

Yea it does affect you if you don't get enough sleep.

Have you tried anything herbal to help?  I believe you can also buy Melatonin herbal tablets (melatonin is our sleep hormone) which might help.  But do talk to your doctor about herbal tablets just in case they interact with your meds.

Other things to try are - don't use computers / laptops / tablets / phones an hour or 2 before bed as the light they emit interferes with sleep (affects the melatonin .... thinking it daylight), a hot bedtime drink, lavendar oil mixed with moisturiser and massaged onto the skin, lavendar room spray.

Glad your day was fairly decent though.  The sleep problem will sort itself out eventually though.

K x

• Posted

Yes I have tried Melatonin. One doc said to take it while the other said I may as well just pee my money into the river. Lol. Cant get 2 of them to agree. The same doc that said to try it told me these meda have dide effects and the other said their is none. Oh well!!!!! Hope ur having a great day and ur right--- a good sleep does make a difference
    • Posted

Doctors vary so much - so annoying isn't it.

I'd carry on with the melatonin - it can't hurt, especially as neither doctor said so.  

I saw a programme last year on insomnia - the people had to only go to bed when they were tired, really tired - even if it was 3am.  They had to stay away from bed until they needed it.  Slowly they trained their bodies to sleep earlier and earlier.  I know its different with these meds, as the meds are causing it, but it won't hurt to try.  Try not to sleep during the day either - you need to keep it for the evening.

Yes, sleep is so important ..... I'm grouchy if I don't get my sleep.  It will right itself in the end though - I've not heard of anyone having sleep problems long term on these meds (no doubt lots will post here now lol).

Yes good day here thanks - the sun is shining biggrin

Good luck for tonight ..... hope its a bit easier.

K x

• Posted

Kate.. I hope you dont mind me asking but I saw once that you recommended a book.. Dealing with depression or something but I cannot remember for the life of me what it is called and who it is by.. Please could you help!!

Many thanks

Lorraine x

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

Yes I did - there's a few books that have helped me when I was ill - I'll private message you with the titles, as my previous posts were deleted as have mentioned them too often wink (oops)

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.