Weaning off drugs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently in the process of weaning myself off of various drugs as none of them seem to be working.  I struggled with Gabapentin for a while, but finally got it down to 300mg at bedtime.  I am currently trying to wean myself off of Tramadol which I was taking extended release 150mg am and bedtime.  I managed to do the am dose easily enough, but am really struggling cutting the bedtime one out.  I am trying to do it by taking the ordinary 50mg tablets.  Yesterday was ok, but today I have flu type symptoms and general lethargy and spasming legs, so I have given in and taken one 50mg tablet.  The doctor put me on Nortriptaline and I want to cut out the Gabapentin and Tramadol to see if the Nortriptaline works on its own.  (Osteoarthritis in back, hip and knee).  Any advice welcome.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You made the wife and I chuckle,no tramadol all day , have the night to get through, I just kept busy today , slept for an hour,bad dreams which is normal when I reduce, have a nice evening.
  • Posted

I have now managed to cut out the Gabapentin completely.  Have had none for over a week now with no ill effects!  Tonight I think I will start phasing out the Tramadol.  Im still taking 150mg slow release at night, so will try tonight to just take 2 x 50mg ordinary Tramadol and see how I go with that.  I am still taking 20mg of Nortriptaline, so that should cushion the blow a bit.  Hows everyone else doing?  
  • Posted

For two days now I have reduced the Tramadol to 100mg (it was 150mg).  I am not sleeping quite as well as I was when it was 150mg but none of the other symptoms I was getting before such as restless legs and complete insomnia - being awake the entire night.  I am desperate to stop it altogether, but I will carry on like this for a few more days before I reduce down to 50mg and then finish completely.  After that I will only be on one med (Nortriptaline).  I feel very positive smile
    • Posted

Hi,I have also reduced to 100mg Sr tramadol and I have some really painful days but I take tramadol drops,the nights I have done 2 months at 100mg and I sleep from midnight to 4 or 5 am, I am getting a better nights sleep,less nightmares etc and feel that the more time goes by the more adapted I become,unfortunately I need tramadol and gabapentin buy hey having reduced from last year from 400mg and 3600mg daily to 100mg and 2100mg so life's not that bad,keep at it and hope you feel better
    • Posted

Youre doing well! Painwise I can say that I am in pain most of the time but it is not unbearable like it was and it can be relieved by heat, rest and gels which before it couldnt. Sounds a bit zen but I feel like I understand it more. Until it flares again! Unfortunately it now feels like the osteo is in my neck as well as hip, back and knee but Im quite upbeat. Working part time, swimming, yoga, pilates and walking the doggies. Summer is on the way too. Good times ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.