Weaning off Metoprolol Succinate

Posted , 2 users are following.

A month ago I cut my metoprolol succinate in half. I now take 50 mg and am ready to go to the next level.. My question is can I half it again or is there a better way?  Changed doctors and now see a nautropathic doctor who does not write prescriptions.  No history of heart disease or other problems.. Thanks all..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

According to my pharmacist...weaning off this kind of medication is a must. I would say 'yes' you can half the tablet yet again. You were on 50mg..cut it in half...leaving just 25 mg..now you're ready to go down to 12 1/2. You can do that, I'd say...do it for a few days, then do 12 1/2 every other day, then every other other day...then stop. 

• Posted

Thanks Mike, I'm  down to 25mg per day and doing well.. I was amazed that for the past two weeks I've been going to the chiropractor for a sore spot in my neck, well that went away after the second visit AND he has brought my BP down by doing something to the Atlas nerve.. I watched videos about this but couldn't believe it really worked.. he took my BP yesterday and it was 147/83 which is great for me at the ripe old age of 74.. Thanks again for your response.. I'm a happy girl today with the prospect of getting off this medication..

• Posted

I too have been wondering if the Atlas subluxation is causing some of my problems, but with the severe narrowing of a nerve opening, along with other things...then having a Chiro attempt to adjust the Atlas bones, etc..would do more harm than good. There is a Chiro not far from me who specializes in this sort of thing, but again, I'm nervous of more damage.

• Posted

I was nervous as well Mike, but was very surprised when I went in to talk with the Chiro.  Perhpas your chiro can explain it better than I can.. It's worth a try.. All I can say is because of being on meds for so long we all sort of depend on them.. Change is not eas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.