Weaning Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 16 users are following.

HI Everybody

I have been taking MIrtazapine since Middle of May 2016.

This whole thing started with some sleepless nights and two panic attacks which came after me taking xanax for like 2-3 weeks of half 0.25 MG two times per day due to some OCD thoughts and sleep. That backfired and instead of stopping and riding it out i thought it was better to go to the doctor. That was when my whole world started to fall down. The stupid doctor prescribed another benzo and antidepressant which i did not need at all because if i had a good night's sleep the next day i was really normal. The antidepressants cause your situation to worsen before improving so she tried me on Fevarine 4 days, Amitryptiline increased from 25 to 50Mg than added 6Mg of bromazepam (benzo) and at the end as i was getting stuck on Bromazepam she gave me Remeron. I was telling her since the begining that i have a obsesive fear from the meds especially benzo so the treatment will just worsen my condition but she was telling me "trust me, i know better". SO i trusted and i ended up almost destroying my life. And i am still not convinced whether i am out of the woods yet. Remeron really caused me to become suicidial, eventhough those feelings i can attribute the big reductions on Bromazepam she recommended at that time. I don't know how the psychiatry can be in such a low point nowadays destroying peoples lives just like that. I am very p*ssed of psychiatry nowdays so i met another doctor regarding my issues and the first thing he did checked my tongue and said you have nutrition problems and that was right because i was dieting since december and lack of nutrition most probably led me to that mental situation. I was mentioning that fact to my first doctor as well in that first meeting, and imagine the first pdoc i went in is the head of Psychiatry in the national hospital in my country and is considered as the best doctor in her field.

Anyway cutting the story short i think i am starting to recover right now but i want off the Remeron. It numbed me and i was not able to feel neither bad nor good emotions. Good emotions have been always a strong part on my side as i have a lot of friends, i have had a very active life and i am a funny person to be with but Remeron stole that all from me at only 15Mg. 

At 4th of July i did my frist cut from 15Mg to 12.8Mg. As i stoped Amitryptiline and Bromazepam in 9th of June 2016 i can attribute some of the feelings to withdrawals from those meds during all this time.

11th of August i did my second cut to 12Mg and so far it went OK. I noticed some bad sleeping pattern and a little anxiety and depression around days 4 and 5 of my cut. 

20th August was my third cut to 11Mg which i am currently now. I noticed again that todays i the 5th day and my sleep was not good and i had anxiety in the morning which is passable. It is a lot better compared to the previous months.

How i am doing the cuts it is quite easy. I am mixing 15Mg remeron tablet with 15ml water to have a distribution of 1ml = 1mg. I mix them well until no crumbs are left in the glass and take the amount needed using a syringe. If everything goes well with this method and I am able to cut 10% each 10 weeks i hope to be weaned off by maybe start of the next year.

Anyway one week ago i went and meet my second doctor and he was saying that if i want to solve this situation without medicines i can simply cut to 7.5 for one or two weeks and then drop altogether. I am scared to follow the doctor and make big cuts because in case i have a lot of effects that would mean being off from my work. I know being off from work is not the end of the world but with my conditions, two kids to take care and a loan to pay off this is the last think i am looking for right now.

From the discussions here i read a lot of horror stories regarding this medicine and from some other sites i come to know that there are people who do not have problems come off but there are some who are really affected with heavy withdrawals.

What do ya think...???? Should i take the chances and follow the doc or continue my snail's pace into a slow withdrawal...???

All the best to everybody and keep tight. We will survive.

I DEFINITELY HAVE COME TO HATE AD-s... :-)

0 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 10 of my last jump from 12 to 11 Mg and feeling OK. A part from some problems with sleep everything else seems OK. Just some moments of mild depression and other side effects. Anyway i know that days 4-5-6 are somehow going to be bad and am prepared for those. I will stay maybe 2-3 more days on this dosage and then jump again to 10Mg.

WISH ME LUCK

• Posted

Good luck !!  Yes I find day 4/5 is full of fatigue which goes on for several days, I may have one or two nights that are wakeful too.  I would be thinking of waiting for sleep to return before doing another drop, afterall they do say 10% every 4 weeks, don't rock the boat too quickly perhaps?  

I've lost the thread but are you taking Magnesium Toni and Vitamin D?  Mag is essential for sleep, its so common for folk to be deficient in this (wont bore you with the speel) am sure you & others are ok to google.  

Best wishes

• Posted

HI Calmer

Yes buddy i am taking magnesium and on those nights when my sleep goes away as i tend to start ruminating i take at the middle of the night aroun 3 a Linden and Chamomile tea and am able to drift off to sleep again for 2-3 more hours. That is like my secret weapon if Mirt fails to keep me asleep at least up to 5 or 6 o clock in the morning. Yesterday i had some discussion with my manager and somehow ended having a panic attack which destruyed my whole day. Today i am calmer and at work.

Let's hope the good days continue. I do not know wheter these bad days are due to benzo withdrawal or Mirtazapine. I used benzo for almost thre months and took the last one on 9th of June 2016. I wish you good luck too.

• Posted

As on 3rd of September 2016 i started with only 10Mg of Mirtazapine. I am continuing the mixing with water and taking it with a syring and so far i am OK. Of course i continue to have some morning anxiety on particular days but that seems to be the norm with this proces or maybe leftover from my stopping of short term benzo ussage.

I do not know whether i am prolonging Mirtazapine usage with this type of taper considering some people are lucky enough to escape without withdrawals but i do not want to be sorry later.

Good Luck to all the Quitters on this EVIL DRUG.

• Posted

Go Toni go !!  

Hey the Chamomile & Linden tea sounds good, what brand do you buy or do you make your own??  You're not UK are you?  I'll have to do a search.

Sleep well (!)

• Posted

Calmer Hi Buddy.

I am not in UK friend. For Linden and Chamomile I have local dried flowers separate from each other. If on any day I wake up in the middle of the night and can not sleep I take a teaspoon of Linden and a teaspoon of Chamomile boil it for 5-10 minutes and drink the tea without sugar. It puts me to sleep for another 2-3 hours. I only take it once or twice every 10 days. Try buddy hope it works for you. And about the burglary going up on Mirt will not solve anything. Face your Fears buddy that is the way to go forward. I know it sounds hard but we got no choice.... Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Calmer

How are you buddy...???

Did you try Chamomile and Linden for sleep...?? It is a good combination to add some hours of sleep during the nights when you wake up early.

As on 11th of September i have gone into 9 Mg and yesterday was bad. Anxiety on a moderate level and in the evening i was totally warned out. Anyway today is a lot better.

Keep in touch

• Posted

Hi Toni

Thanks for asking ... I've got a little fatigue with a slightly bigger drop I did on 11th so its day 3 effectively, it will pass !!  

Are you doing weekly drops?  Be careful, sometimes, and I know you know this already, but too quicker drops add up to a big anxious state sometimes ... sorry, all about letting the brains neurons catch up with the physical - how long are you going to hold at 9mg?

I searched for Chamomile & Linden Tea and had no luck, I rang my local healthfood shops.  On the internet its difficult to see what can be trusted with the brands I don't recognise so its tricky.  The closest I came up with is a company called Healthy Supplies where I can buy the dried flowers - is Linden actually Lime flowers?  Looks like this (hope you can see this)

• Posted

HI Calmer

Yes Linden flowers are known also as Lime blossom. In the picture you are showing me it is the dried form but i think yes that should be the one. Check on google images for Linden flower and you can see the pic. I do not think you will be able to find Linden + Chamomile tea together. I have them separate and i mix them together in water and boil for like 10-15 minutes and drink without sugar. It works for me that way. If you are not able to find Linden i may as well post it to you. I am in Europe as well so it can reach you in no time.

As far as the weekly drops is concerned you are right i should be careful. Yesterday was my third day and i really had some anxiety during the whole day and at night i was damn tired with a terrible hedache before sleep but my sleep was OK. Today not very good because my strenous relationship with my boss continues but i am trying to pass through it. I will wait at least 15 days this time to make the next cut because i think i am nearing to the point that i am feeling more the cuts right now.

I am hoping to have a good week and then decide. Sometimes i really feel hopless but than again i gather the force to go on. These psych meds have been the biggest mistake of my life. I have experienced depression just because of them and eventhough now i am feeling slightly better any backday is a huge blow under my belt for the moment.

Keep in touch buddy. by the way what is your current dose..???

• Posted

WOW, we have lots of Lime trees around the park near where I live, no flowers though !!  I see June/July is the harvest time ... I'll be climbing the trees, it's a famous park, maybe I could start a new business, no kidding!

Yes psych meds can cause more suffering, that's why I think it's important not to only pass the word out to the public ... but also to have the strong determination and plan in our minds that it's a journey and it will cease, and we will be clear of it ... but not to rush, no point in destabilising, once unstable hard to get back on track.

Your boss ... can you have a dummy & stick pins in when you get home?  After my attempted buglary 10 days ago, we had a very aggressive sales person here to quote for new door etc ... beggars belief what some sales folk will do to get the sale - felt sorry for her actually, I asked her to leave and she almost broke down, words getting stuck in her throat, couldn't speak with the stress .... wonder what she takes?

Sorry ranting ...

I am now at 2.25 mg liquid.  The butterflies from the stress of attempt buglary have gone, yes you're right - no need to up the Mirt, just takes time.

Best wishes, thanks for support.  Oh and that hopeless feeling, that'll disperse, and then the sun will shine again ... keep on being strong Toni smile

• Posted

HI Calmer...

2.25...????!!! I really envy you maaan... :-) I really wished i was at that level. Anyway i am not doing to bad either since July 4th i have dropped already 40% of the original dose and am currently on 9Mg. WIth this rythm i think i will be able to succeed by my birthday next coming March. I hope to be lucky in the sense that Evergreen was. She just took around 3-4 months to go off if i am not mistaken.

Let's hope the WD will be not cruel with me. I have suffered tooo much this year and am really p*ssed off with the medical profession. 

Best of Luck buddy and careful with the Lime Trees.... I advice you use ladder... :-)

• Posted

I ordered the tea, comes from Bulgaria so will take a while, i'll let you know how it works for me.  I feel the need for less unhealthy food & drink, now I'm at the low doses, I feel bad if I eat rubbish, sometimes I can't even tolerate one glass of wine, gives a hangover and burning mouth & eyes symptoms, even sugar has a bad effect ... how unfair is that.  

I hope the WD will not be cruel to you also, yo sure come across as strong ~ and of course we are always stronger than we think we are, no?  Yes the medical profession .... I just read an article, i'll pop a link in your message box, if you fancy a good read !!

No need to feel envy, although I know you're probably kidding, I've been tapering since October last year !

Best wishes, keep up the good work smile  

• Posted

Hi Calmer - I've reduced Mirt from 30mg down to 7.5mg. I was on 7.5mg for 15 days. I'm also taking Cipralex 20mg and take  Ativan to help me relax. I want to get off the Mort and Ativan. Last night I didn't take Mirt but my speel was awful. Fdll asleep Ok but woke early and didn't get back to sleep. Took a Ativan on the way in and felt sleepy. The anxiety went away for a few hours but now it's come back. I feel anxious, nervous, uneasy, nauseuos and drowsy.I can't realy focus 

At this point I will probably go back on the 7.5mg of Remeron tonight. What do you think?

• Posted

Yes I would take the 7.5 mg tonight, if you're struggling take it earlier, say 3 hours before bed instead on 30 minutes before bed for example.  Dont be tempted to take a higher dose.  I think its best for you to stick to a slow taper plan, and taper from Mirt first, then Ativan if your doctor will support this.  If your doctor wants you not to be taking Ativan long term (as it is addictive and may require upping the doses, he/she may not), maybe taper the Ativan first.  As Mirt' has a slow release sedative contained within it you may well be ok with just this, so think about the Ativan first maybe ~ is not follow the 10% rule to taper from Mirt', think about dropping 10% each time and see what/if any symptoms arise, maybe none.  Personally I do 5% drop every 2 weeks as I am sensitive to the drops.

Am I right to think you want to stay on the Cipralex then?  How long were you on Mirt?

I would bear in mind that tolerance to Ativan may be present and if not taken could lead to discontinuation symptoms also, so one to watch for you.  

How long did you taper 30 to 7.5 mg Mirt?  Has it been ok for you?  Well done ... not easy.

Best wishes.

Some quit more easily, but it is more rare sadly.

I definately wouldn't jump off at 7.5mg, especially as you are already having a discontinuation experience with those symptoms you describe.

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I will try to taper slower as suggest. Thanks

I want to stay of Cipralex. I needto give it another at least 6 full weeks on 20mg to see if it will work for me. I would love to get of fthe Ativan but its the only med that helps to relax me and allows me to focus. Although sometimes, like today, It didn't help me much. I've tapered from 30mg to 7.5mg over the last 2 months.

To give you a little history, I've been battling depression and GAD for 16 years. The first 10 years I tried an assortment of ADs but generally I settled on Paxil with Clonazapam for night time and sometimes in the morning. I have always had Ativan to help me for the really bad days. In 2010 I switched to Cipralex and aso dropped the Clonazapam and for almost two years I was almost perfect. No depression or anxiety. This may have also been because my business was doing well and I was pretty happy. In early 2012 my depression creeped back in, followed by GAD. This was probably because I was under a lot of stress with my business and personal life. My doctor increased the Cipralex from 10 to 20mg and also prescribed clonazapam again. Nothing helped and this is when my doctor recommened Remeron. Initially the doctor prescribed it for my GAD and depression on its own but it didn't help. He then added Effexor. The two together were suppposed to do the job and while I had some good days on it, generally my mornings were always awful, and once or twice a week I took a lorazapam for real panic situation. Mirt has helped me to sleep but I'm not sure it's helping any other way.

About 6 months ago my doctor and I decided to try something else. Keeping Remeron at 30mg, I first tried Paxil for about 8 weeks and even used clonazapam in the mornings. This didn't work. I was thgen put on Trintellix which is a ned AD but this didn't work either. About 8 weeks ago I wennt back on Cipralex starting at 5, then 10, then 15 and for the last 3 weeks on 20mg. On 20mg I've been much better except that I still wake up with Anxiety and nervousness and it isn't until after 1mg of Ativan at about 8:30am that both the anxiety and nervousness dispappear. It's not always great but I would have to say I've been better 5 out of 7 days which is far better than I've been in a long time. The doctor thinks that the Remeron could be having an effect on the morning anxiety and nervousness and this is why we are trying to cut it out completely.

Anyways like most people on this forum I have suffered a lot and I'm hoping on on my way to recovery.

Thanks for listening and hope you can suggest something.

• Posted

PaulMar

I think buddy your nervous system is sensitised at this point. You have done a lot of changes in a short time so now you need to keep the doses stable for a while until getting stable in general. Then you can start tapering slow Remeron as Calmer is suggesting. You can mix the tablets with water on a 1 to 1 mixture (1mg Remeron to 1mg of water) and then you can do low cuts of 10% every 3-4 weeks as reccomended by most people who have taken it. In case you do not have symptoms you can go even faster and slow down when you do have symptoms.

It is difficult buddy but it can be done. Slow and steady wins the race. You have used these meds for quite some time so definitely you do not have to harry. If the CNS gets unstable it needs quite some time to stabilise that again. The point is to keep stability and continue lowering the dosage.

Good Luck

• Posted

Is it safe to say most of the AD's that you have tried don't really work very well Paul?  Would you say you feel any bettter now (or maybe worse) than when you first started with depression 16 years ago?  I'm no medic, but it seems you have tried many drugs; sometimes they can lead us to have symptoms far worse than those we originally first went to the doctors for.  Just a thought.  

It might be, that if you tapered slowly, with support from your doctor and maybe a therapist, and found other methods to treat yourself, like CBT, Mindfulness, EFT, yoga, meditation, that you would improve, got to be worth a shot, could be better than poly drugging?

Most of the people I 'buddied' with to taper from Mirt' take supplements too, there is endless talk of modern farming practices depleting minerals from the soil and even the healthiest of foods, its no wonder why mineral deficiencies are at the root of every serious health problems today, including sleep problems !!  That was my problem I believe, insomnia leading to anxiety and then depression  ggrrrrr.

So yeh, definately take a high potency of Magnesium, I take 300mg, calming sleep aid, found in green leafy (well it was once upon a time), nuts and seeds mostly - Viridian brand or Jigsaw is v good.  Also B Complex including B12 (Viridian brand I take). 

These might help with the cortisol surges that wake you in the morning, reducing the stress, yes just 10 minutes of meditation a day (and maybe more) would help too.

I dare say also, that when your doc "tries" a new med on you and then tells you to "stop" taking it, there is no slow taper, just a cease ... this all adds up, sensitising the system even more.  

I understand how difficult it is seeing the wood for the trees with all these meds, I was "trialed" too until Mirt' settled all my anxiety, just tapering very slowly now.

Hope some of this helps, sorry you're waking with that anxiety, that is the pits, what time does it wake you?  Can you push it away at all?

• Posted

Calmer Buddy

You seem quite comfortable with your situation buddy. For me the morning anxiety some days have been really bad, but currently it seems to be better. Anyway on my bad days i really do not know whether those bad days are due to a cut or situational problems. I need to be definitely careful with the drops now. I have gone 40% down my dossage in 2 months. I used Mirt for only 45 - 50 days and now will need a life time of maybe one year to taper. The doctor is saying tapper by half every week and drop at 7.5... Are you kidding meee..???!!! 

Or should i try it...???? :-) :-(

By the way did Linden arrive...??? I am worried you do not start climbing trees for some extra hours of sleep... :-)))

Keep in touch friend.

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

I tried taking Mirt 3 hours before bed. My sleep was better than the night before. I woke up at 3:30am and then went back to sleep til 6:15am and I got out of bed at 6:30am. My sheets were soaked and therefore I was sweating a lot.

When I wake up at 3:30am I know that I still have time to go back to sleep and I don't make myself anxioius. At 6:25am I know it's time to get up and this is when I make myself really nervous thinkg about what the day will bring. I then go to exercise, try some meditation and slow breathing. Nothing helps. I try to imagine myself being calm an relaxed. Nothing works. I eat my cereal, take all my supplements and then go to work. Either just before leaving my house or on the way, I take an Ativan 1mg.

Before the Ativan I was freaking out. After about 2 hours i'm more relaxed but still my breathing is shallow and I'm still not completely relaxed. I also feel drowsy. The experiment from Sunday night with the Mirt may still be effecting me. Either that or the Ativan is just not potent enough anymore.

I agree with Toni that I need to stabilize on what I'm taking. I need to give the Cipralex time and should problably just stay on the Remeron for another 3 weeks until the Cipralex stabilizes.

It's possible that these meds are just making me worse than if I was completely free of them but I can't take that chance since I seem to get worse when I'm increasing or decreasing the meds.I'm hoping the Cipralex will do the job and eventually I can get off the Ativan and the Remeron.

It upsets me to think that even the Ativan isn't working.

At home at night I begin relax and begin to feel normal. Last night I didn't relax until after 9pm. 

Right now life is too hard and it feels like I'm at the end of my rope.

• Posted

The Linden is on its way, I got an e-mail today.  I am planning to call it "pudding" and just pretend its a treat !  You know I have my fears also, I have stock piles 0f all sorts of stuff for "IF" I get insomnia.  I have Phenergen, Benadryl caps (drowsy), Melatonin, Magnesium bath soak, I have Beta Blockers, errrr one other I can't remember the name.  So yeh, that's my biggest fear whilst tapering, and thats where I came from in the beginning ... insomnia ... so I have the determination to do everything I can to beat it, including meditation which I can switch on in the middle of the night if I get the butterflies ~ usually works.  I don't mind TEA, (thank you) I just would like to try and stay away from drugs.

Only you can decide, but remember the scaffolding that is around the brains neurons, transmitters, if yanked away the rewiring takes a while hence the nervous system going into freefall for some that taper fast.  

You tried a quick drop before, so you know how it feels and if you are up to it.  We're all different, and you could go the middle road and try a 10% drop for 4 weeks see how this feels, and if OK replan your next move.  

Not climbing trees yet, go google & look here, see the images

wollaton park nottingham lime trees

this is near where I live:  Wollaton Park, Nottingham,  smile  

• Posted

I guess the sweating is to do with not taking any the previous night?  Or do you always have this?

That "making yourself anxious" when you look at the clock in the middle of the night ... hmmm, how about not looking, cover it up and just rely on the alarm in the morning ?  Could it be playing tricks on on you with looking at it?

So when the 3 weeks is up on Cipralex, do you plan to taper slowly off Mirt?  It could be difficult otherwise.  Yes sure, its best to stabilise now, give it time, let the body adjust, feel secure again before you make any more changes, I agree Paul & Toni, definately.  

Well I hear you when you say "it upsets you to think the Ativan may not be working", but you said yourself, it made you feel drowsy.  This is where CBT is fantastic, alongside a little relaxation technique this could bring down anxiety ~ of course its like anything, its best to practice until perfect before removing any meds, food for thought.

Keep lots of time aside in the evening to switch off, no blue screens like lap top, ipad, gaming machines, TV is ok for me but not for everyone.  Magnesium baths are good too.

• Posted

The sweating doesn't happen all the time but once or twice per week. I will try stabilize and honestly if I feel good I will just stay on the Mirt as well.

I've been taking 200mg of Magnesium. I'll try to increase that to 300mg.

Yes, if I can find the right councilor, CBT may be the right next step.

Thanks

• Posted

Wow Calmer.

I checked the pics of Wollaton Park. Such a lovely place. Anyway i am calmer now that the trees are not so high, so even if you climb, falling will not be a big deal... :-)

When i lowered from 10 to 9 MG within one week my previous week was not so good. Maybe i had situational factors as well and i do not know to what i can attribute that. This week it seems i am getting back to stability again but currently i have a lot going on with my life. Bed situation at work, a new baby born, a small guesthouse to be opened at my hometown and i need to plan things in advance. Benzos first and then Mirtazapine to deal with (those were the culprits for my bad situation at work as my anxiety somehow destroyed the relations with my current boss) and everyday i wake up in the morning and my mind starts to pick the first problem in a the row and start ruminating. When i am calm i can manage but 2-3 days after each drop it is tooo much and it drives me back needing more time to recuperate. I know the other side that you refered me in private, i even have a topic of my own there. Anyway i am trying to stay out of the internet forums as much as possible. The horror stories tend to activate my rumination. I see you are very active in here. How do you find the time Calmer?? What line of business are you in??

Anyway let's hope for the best buddy. We will survive i guess. I really miss my life. I should have never taken these medicines and trusted my pdoc, but we are here and have to face it. Acceptance is what matters.

All the best

• Posted

PaulMar

How long have you been taking Ativan buddy?? Benzos are not good as the body gets used to them and the tendency is to require more. Maybe the high levels of anxiety might be also because of your body already in tolerance and requiring more benzos. Maybe you should keep both Cipralex and Remeron as it is now and discuss wit your doctor to substitute Ativan with Valium and start tappering that first. Anyway I am not a doctor so the best thing is to listen to your body and try to stabilise first. Give yourselfe time and do not read much on the internet the horror stories. They tend to make things worse. You need to focus on your life and work problems and not your situation. In that way you will stabilise faster and then start lowering by small increments one med at a time. 

Do not make tooo many changes because in that way you will not know what is causing what. I red some people say that vitamine C in the evening is good for low level of anxiety in the morning. Try eating 2-3 oranges at night or take a suplement and see the next day. Keep notes on what you are eating and avoid foods that doo you bad. I know carbs and sugar is not good for anxiety and especially when you taper. Just be a doctor to yourself buddy.

Good Luck and be around.

• Posted

Hi Toni

Oh they are very high, I will be scrambling around on the floor looking for fallen blossom !!

It is so hard for some of us doing the drops, worry, fear and anxiety increase all withdrawal symptoms.  People who fear withdrawal have more intense symptoms than those who just take it as it comes and think positively and confidently about recovery.

So trying to give it little credence is key ... ugh !!

But then again 10 mg to 9 mg is 10%, so at least you know what 10% feels like, although I think you may also know what a large taper feels like, not for the faint hearted like me.

A new baby, congratulations !!  How many now?  I have 2, aged 26 & 27, youngest about to buy his own house, daughter lives alone close by.  Yes I have time to ponder & help when I can on this forum, I don't pay much attention to other forums, and not the SA one, too much.  I gave up work to have a puppy 3 years ago, I havn't got round to going back, a long sabbatical!  I am fortunate, grateful and pray thanks each day.  

Yes I think you are so right, timing the drops to avoid any extra stresses, thats why its good to note what and when symptoms arise because they usually repeat themselves each time.  

You'll get there, have to work on the ruminating.  Did you do any Mindfulness/CBT??

• Posted

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes I will try to stabilize since I'm sure I keep getting myself into trouble by changing and increasing or decreasing. 

I like your suggestion on the Vitamin C. I take it in the morning now but maybe in the evening may help me in the morning. 

I will talk to my DR about switching to Valium to get me off of Ativan. 

• Posted

Toni, Calmer,

What do you think about taking the Cipralex at night time and drop the Remeron? Will this hlep me sleep and also not feel the withdrawl from the Remeron?

• Posted

Hi PaulMar

Do not attempt any changes for a while. Discuss your options with your doctor. You have done a lot of changes and a very rapid taper of Remeron from 30 to 7.5 mg, so it is normal to be in withdrawal. The key here is stability. For me keep the same regimen for maybe one month. If you say you are having 5 good days out of 7 that is a good sign. Do not force your body more. Ativan has a short lifetime of around 20 hours so some of the anxiety might be from that as well as rapid taper from Remeron. Changing to Valium will most probably keep you more stable and you can lower it very slowly in the future. We are all in the same boat here. I might look calm but the thing is I do not know how I will wake up tomorrow... With anxiety or not... Do not make big changes now. There is no quick fix. Try to stabilize first buddy.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Short answer from me is NO, dropping the Remeron won't help you sleep, having a little look back, am I right, you took it and came off it before ~ how well did you manage then, was it back in 2010?  If you didn't suffer any discontinuation symptoms then maybe you could get off lightly this time.  Can you remember, could be a blur?

As you've already dropped 30mg to 7.5 this is a mighty drop in 2 months .... how long have you been at 7.5 mg??  I think this is important.

No other AD can cover any discontinuation symptoms of Mirt', only Mirt.  I would go steady a Toni says, your nervous system is probably still trying to find homeostatis, I wouldn't go with any other changes, yet.

• Posted

Hi Toni, Calmer,

Last night I took 2,000mg of Vitamin C and I actually slept much better without the sweating. I also woke up feeling better and am feeling better at work today. I haven't needed to take Ativan yet. 

I started taking Remeron in late 2012. I never tried to get off of it till recently. I've been on 7.5mg now for the last 2 weeks. I've been on Cipralex now for 4 weeks.

I will stay on the 7.5mg of Remeron for the next month or two to give the Cipralex time to settle into my system and even then I may just stay on Remeron if I'm feeling good and sleeping well. Hopefully if the Cipralex is doing its job I won't need the Ativan and won't need to taper off of it. I only use it if I feel really nervous and anxious. I think going up on the Cipralex and going down on the Remeron was doing that. Stabilizing now should help me.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much!

• Posted

Hey PaulMar

I am sooo happy you are doing well today. That is a good sign. Keep on taking Vit C at night if it does you good. Try to stay away from Ativan if you can. You have used different types of benzos and your system needs time to recover. Remember you are not sick. It is just your sensitized system playing games now. Try to stabilise without experimenting for one or two months. After you re stable than slowly slowly you can wean off the meds one after the other. Stick to your life buddy and keep your self busy. An hour walk after work helps a lot on a restful sleep. It is good to take also two showers per day, one in the morning and one after sleep. If you drink alcohol stay away from it. Good Luck and be around. It is not the end of the rope. You just need some time.

• Posted

Hi PaulMar

I haven't seen you around for the last 3-4 days and just worried whether everything is OK or not...??? Update buddy

• Posted

HI Calmer

I know it is hard especially for me since i have the situational factors not in my favour as well. All this period of insecurity and anxiety has affected my work performance and relations with my manager and i am at a crossroad right now. My self confidence and selfesteem related to work are at an all time low level. During the weekends i am quite well but then as soon as the weekend ends and back to reality i start to suffer again. My manager is micromanaging everything and whatever I do is definitely wrong for her. This is had led to me not liking at all my job currently and feeling very low on a daily level. Anyway i am trying to survive and at the same time to continue with my drops. I am not sure how long this will take.

As far as children are concerned i have 2 one is 12 years old and he is doing quite well at school so i have no problems with him. The other is my lovely daughter which got born this year at 22 June and is currently 3 months old. Those are the reasons that keep me going otherwise i would have resigned by now. 

Ruminating is still a problem and is bad especially at mornings. During the days there are ups and downs but normally after 2 Pm they tend to subside and half of my day is calm after that. as far as CBT is concerned i am discussing with a doctor/therapists today to start some meetings. I hope they can be helpful especially during this period.

I am writing to you just to vent myself but i know you can not really help me with this thing. I need to find the solutions myself. 

Keep in touch buddy and good luck. 

• Posted

Your boss sounds awful, sometimes its better just to let them 'think' they have the upper hand, that you surrender - as far as possible (& without giving up your job), the power struggle of some people needing to be in control, not sure how they do it or live with themselves.  But I do believe in Calmer !!

You'll feel badm its Monday, vent away ...

Ruminating is so bad because it spirals us down into feeding the anxiety and keeping it stoked up.  "Whatever you hold in attention has a special power to change your brain."  If you can search for something to help with this and work at it it would help, there's so much out there.  It's just finding that 'coping method' that is right for you.

Being "stuck" at the crossroads is enough to bring on anxiety, are the options that bad.  Maybe not possible so you have to give it all you've got ... making a determined decision and pushing through might relieve the anx?  I'm not sure, but worth a try.

Having a lousy time with flu virus ugh ... pole axed !!  And we have workmen in fitting security after the attempt burglary and its door banging, beeping, drilling, loft climbing, ladder raising ~ just need a restful day!  Oh well, i'll keep going as best I can.

• Posted

Hi Toni,

I'm better but I did go through a bad spell. Trying to stay on same everything.

• Posted

Hi All - I saw my doctor yesterday and he recommended I get off Mirt and get on Nortriptlyline 10mg. I took it last night and didn't take the Mirt. I actually slept better and woke feeling less anxious. However it's the first day and I'm feeling strange. Has anyone tried this before?

• Posted

Hi Calmer, Toni,

Second day without Remeron and on Nortriptlyline 10mg instead. The day yesterday was different than my usual anxiosu and nervous days. I had a bit of a backache. I was nodding off during and meeting. My breathing was a little fast and heavy and my mind was racing. Not a very comfortable feeling at all. This was at work. At home I just wanted to sleep. Overnight I slept fine but I woke up one hour early and I felt a bit anxious and nervous and sweating for 3 hours. I took a lorazapam at 8am and by 10am I was a little better except for feeling sleepy and still having the heavy and fast breathing. Oh yes, the ringing in my left ear was twice as loud.

Do you think this is the new med or Mirt that is causing me to feel this way, 

• Posted

Hi PaulMar

I do not know what to say at this point. Because of the changes you have made you may feel symptoms. I do not know anything about Noritriptyline. If you manage to sleep OK than you can stick to it. For sure you will have some anxiety because of stopping Mirt b but you still can use lorazepam for that.,.just do not overdo it. Try not to make more changes. Let the body gets in line with the meds. You will be able to taper later if you get stable....

• Posted

HI PaulMar

How the things are going buddy...??? Are you managing well without the MIrt and on Nortriptyline..???

Keep around man. 

• Posted

You must get off the benzo first.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.