Weaning Off Mirtazapine

Posted , 16 users are following.

HI Everybody

I have been taking MIrtazapine since Middle of May 2016.

This whole thing started with some sleepless nights and two panic attacks which came after me taking xanax for like 2-3 weeks of half 0.25 MG two times per day due to some OCD thoughts and sleep. That backfired and instead of stopping and riding it out i thought it was better to go to the doctor. That was when my whole world started to fall down. The stupid doctor prescribed another benzo and antidepressant which i did not need at all because if i had a good night's sleep the next day i was really normal. The antidepressants cause your situation to worsen before improving so she tried me on Fevarine 4 days, Amitryptiline increased from 25 to 50Mg than added 6Mg of bromazepam (benzo) and at the end as i was getting stuck on Bromazepam she gave me Remeron. I was telling her since the begining that i have a obsesive fear from the meds especially benzo so the treatment will just worsen my condition but she was telling me "trust me, i know better". SO i trusted and i ended up almost destroying my life. And i am still not convinced whether i am out of the woods yet. Remeron really caused me to become suicidial, eventhough those feelings i can attribute the big reductions on Bromazepam she recommended at that time. I don't know how the psychiatry can be in such a low point nowadays destroying peoples lives just like that. I am very p*ssed of psychiatry nowdays so i met another doctor regarding my issues and the first thing he did checked my tongue and said you have nutrition problems and that was right because i was dieting since december and lack of nutrition most probably led me to that mental situation. I was mentioning that fact to my first doctor as well in that first meeting, and imagine the first pdoc i went in is the head of Psychiatry in the national hospital in my country and is considered as the best doctor in her field.

Anyway cutting the story short i think i am starting to recover right now but i want off the Remeron. It numbed me and i was not able to feel neither bad nor good emotions. Good emotions have been always a strong part on my side as i have a lot of friends, i have had a very active life and i am a funny person to be with but Remeron stole that all from me at only 15Mg. 

At 4th of July i did my frist cut from 15Mg to 12.8Mg. As i stoped Amitryptiline and Bromazepam in 9th of June 2016 i can attribute some of the feelings to withdrawals from those meds during all this time.

11th of August i did my second cut to 12Mg and so far it went OK. I noticed some bad sleeping pattern and a little anxiety and depression around days 4 and 5 of my cut. 

20th August was my third cut to 11Mg which i am currently now. I noticed again that todays i the 5th day and my sleep was not good and i had anxiety in the morning which is passable. It is a lot better compared to the previous months.

How i am doing the cuts it is quite easy. I am mixing 15Mg remeron tablet with 15ml water to have a distribution of 1ml = 1mg. I mix them well until no crumbs are left in the glass and take the amount needed using a syringe. If everything goes well with this method and I am able to cut 10% each 10 weeks i hope to be weaned off by maybe start of the next year.

Anyway one week ago i went and meet my second doctor and he was saying that if i want to solve this situation without medicines i can simply cut to 7.5 for one or two weeks and then drop altogether. I am scared to follow the doctor and make big cuts because in case i have a lot of effects that would mean being off from my work. I know being off from work is not the end of the world but with my conditions, two kids to take care and a loan to pay off this is the last think i am looking for right now.

From the discussions here i read a lot of horror stories regarding this medicine and from some other sites i come to know that there are people who do not have problems come off but there are some who are really affected with heavy withdrawals.

What do ya think...???? Should i take the chances and follow the doc or continue my snail's pace into a slow withdrawal...???

All the best to everybody and keep tight. We will survive.

I DEFINITELY HAVE COME TO HATE AD-s... :-)

0 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Friends...

I am coming back here after 2 months. I think i have done progress and need to share it with you.

I am currently at 5.7Mg and planing to go down to 5.4 tonight. It is tough but doable. When I started writing here i was at around 12.8 MG. A lot of time has passed i know but i have accomplished many things while fighting this battle.

Do not try to rush things even if you are feeling better. Takes thing one at a time. Reductions of 5 - 10 % every 2-4 weeks are recomended and if you feel symptoms prolong it even more.

Good luck to everybody and Happy New Year.

• Posted

MY Dear Friends

My last message to this topic was around 4 months ago and i was at 5.7 Mg of Remeron. 

I am slowly going down and i am currently at 3.4 hopping to go down to 3.1mg by tonight. It continues to be difficult yes but not impossible. The good days have started to appear more than before and this gives me hope that the end is near.

A lot of symptoms like anxiety, depression, non stop rumination, social fear, brain fog and inability to take part in discussions have all gone away and i am left with only fatigue on specific days, body pains and some low level rumination on specific days mainly about my situation. On the other front i am continuing to maintain my family, work full time and also follow up my small family business.

We never know how strong we are untill we are put into this test. I still wished i never put my feet on that damn doctor's office but some things are written to be this way.

Please whatever you do... just try to listen your body. For me the slow taper is the best way to keep stability. I can see the end of the tunnel right now... and also the light just outside of it. I have fought hard for one year and i will stive have to fight hard for some more months but i will make it.

The supplements i am taking non stop are Magnesium and Vit c every night before sleep (plus one banana which is natural source of melatonine) and vit d and Omega 3 every morning. 

IT IS DOABLE... do not anticipate the fear of not being able to do it. JUST LIVE THROUGH IT.

• Posted

My dear friends

As of 6 December 2017.... i am Mirtazapine Free... Life is not yet where it should be but it is a lot more livable... :-)

Wish you luck to all of you my friends...

Toni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.