Weaning off of Amitryptiline

Posted , 9 users are following.

How would I wean off of Amitryptiline 25mg?

I have been taking it for around 9 months. Are there withdrawal effects that can occur even when weaning off?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes there are, I would go to your doctors for advice on that,,,,

• Posted

withdrawal symptoms are different with every individual , i am on day 20 after being on amitryptiline 50 / 25 mg for insomnia / anxiety for 25 plus years . i am struggling but im keeping off them , the worst symptom is not being able to sleep and itching .

• Posted

Hi Sab 45,,,IVE Been on Amitriptalin for 7 plus years now,,,, I've not said I've come off it which is 50mg,, but if and when i do will do it slowly,,, I'm on it through Chronic nerve pain,, amongest others,, but it all so helps me sleep better at night,,,

• Posted

yes there can be, but not everyone experiences symptoms. its recommended to taper 10% of your dose every 2-4 weeks depending on how you're feeling. www.survivingantidepressants.org can help you set up a taper plan if you feel your doctors recommendations are too fast for you. they can guide you in how to liquid taper if you need to since ami only comes in 10mg at the lowest dose.

• Posted

ive been off them now for over 3 month still cant sleep , been to the doctors three times they said it could take 6 months to start feeling better . its been worth it so far because apart from the sleeping now i feel great i feel normal , dont seem to get anxiety much and cope better every day is better

• Posted

ive been off a year and still struggle with severe insomnia. was only on for two months so its very confusing for me. when you do sleep how is your sleep quality? its so very light for me with very vivid dreaming often. i have trouble discerning if ive even slept which is strange and when i do sleep i am up every hour. is it like that for you too? i hope it gets better for you sooner than later

• Posted

omg exact same with me i was hoping it was going to get better soon , i just cant get to sleep and when i do its only an hour or so when i wake up i am startled i jump out of my skin its very weird. i have tried listening to sleep apps some times it works , have you tried anything ? also doctor gave me some phenergan tablets i only took a quarter of one they made me worse .

• Posted

ugh its awful i thought mine would be better by now as well. i saw you took them for anxiety and insomnia... was the insomnia this bad before you took them? i also took them for that reason after a bad reacction to zoloft resulting in extreme anxiery and so then insomnia. my sleep off of it is sooook much worse now. ive never experiencdd such horrific insomnia and quality of sleep. ive tried everything

6 months of CbT-i, remeron, trazadone, doxepin, went back on ami for 9 days. slept normally the first night then it did nothing. i have blue light glasses, a wind down routine, meditation. it just doesnt seem to matter.

• Posted

you poor thing yes my insomnia was this bad before i started on amt they helped me i used to get about four to five hours on them but i just kept upping the dosage because i got used to them . Ive got the blue light , salt lamp pillow spray etc , i am now going to try MAG365 passion fruit magnesium food supplement its ment to help you sleep and good for anxiety , i will let you know if it works i should get it next week . The amitriptyline are a bad drug im still glad im off them even with the lack of sleep . I ended up having heart problems with them thats why im off them . I also take panadol night pain tablets now and again they do work you have to ask pharmacy for them though, i found out about them in the boots magazine . Give them a try just for occasionally though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.